Duck attacked by fox, looking for first aid advice!

I am so sorry to hear about your drake. If the abdominal cavity has a large opening enough to see an organ, I would definitely see a vet asap. That is going to need stitches to prevent anything getting inside and causing sepsis, which may have already occurred if the tissue is starting to rot. I would keep it wrapped up so dirt from its beak or poop on its bedding will not get into the internal body cavity.

I don't want to be a downer, but the body cavity is a sterile part of the body and infection can spread easily there and be very deadly. The best chance would be an antibiotic you have on hand or if you can get one from a vet so you can start immediately. A vet will be able to better access the damage too and remove any necrotic tissue. You can order antibiotics, but I worry it could take too long to get.

He is a beautiful drake, and I hope gets better soon.

Let's tag in @shawluvsbirds @Miss Lydia @Isaac 0 and @casportpony

How old is this wound?
If he drinks water or eats, does any of it leak into or out of the wound or under the skin? You mention you are seeing internal organs - it is the crop you are seeing?
Hard to tell the location of the wound - can you get photos of him standing without the wrapping and point it out - yep, I'm in geezer mode and need it spelled out:D

Personally, I would clean the wound with Hibiclens (Chlorhexidine) or Povidone Iodine since there's an odor. Initial flushing one time with Peroxide and water is ok, but an odor indicates infection. Repeated use of Peroxide can damage tissue.
Once you clean the wound well, then apply your triple antibiotic ointment.
I'm not a fan of wrapping wounds unless absolutely necessary, they seem to fester when wrapped. Only time I would wrap is if he's picking at it or it's in an area where he would be laying on it. This may mean caging him with the siblings so they can't pick at his wounds or you keep him in for a few days while you get the infection under control.

I do agree, I would give an antibiotic. Amoxicillin is my preference for wounds, but if you have something on hand, then let us know what it is.

Drinking is good, but he needs to eat as well. Hopefully the duck folks can give better suggestions.
The attack happened about 6:30pm Monday night.
He is drinking water, but not eating much, and I'm not sure if it leaks into the wound, but I will have a look today. It could be the crop but I'm not entirely sure. I will get photos of him without the vet wrap as well.

I've found some povidone iodine in my first aid kit. Would you recommend the prep pad or the ointment?

I also did find some chicken antibiotics but I'm not sure that it is recommended for ducks? If you know anything about it that would be great!

I'm trying to get Amoxicillin, but I'm not sure where to find it, any ideas? Is the vet the only place it can be prescribed?

Thanks so much!!

The attack happened about 6:30pm Monday night.
He is drinking water, but not eating much, and I'm not sure if it leaks into the wound, but I will have a look today. It could be the crop but I'm not entirely sure. I will get photos of him without the vet wrap as well.

I've found some povidone iodine in my first aid kit. Would you recommend the prep pad or the ointment?

I also did find some chicken antibiotics but I'm not sure that it is recommended for ducks? If you know anything about it that would be great!

I'm trying to get Amoxicillin, but I'm not sure where to find it, any ideas? Is the vet the only place it can be prescribed?

Thanks so much!!

Attachments

• 5B2E92A2-05EA-402A-8984-5896B0B14241.jpeg
    5B2E92A2-05EA-402A-8984-5896B0B14241.jpeg
    303.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 72830D83-A8F5-4047-90D8-5928D8C7BFDE.jpeg
    72830D83-A8F5-4047-90D8-5928D8C7BFDE.jpeg
    544.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 6E27ECDD-960F-48E2-BD62-5544B666D6F8.jpeg
    6E27ECDD-960F-48E2-BD62-5544B666D6F8.jpeg
    570.8 KB · Views: 2
I don't know how you would use the pad since it's a deep wound. Did you rinse the wound out with saline? then the ointment.
Amoxicillin can be ordered online https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10 I bet they have Amoxicillin also. @Wyorp Rock may know if the antibiotic you have there is safe to use. I'm pretty sure the Pen is not sure on the Streptomycin.
Sometimes when they are sick or injured they will drink their feed if you make a soupy mix of it.

It's better to have a solution that you can flush/clean the wound, so if you can get some Hibiclens or the Povidone Iodine in liquid that would be better. Save your swabs for cleaning a minor wound. The ointment can be used after the wound is flushed/cleaned if you wish.

Let's tag in @casportpony and @Eggcessive about the antibiotic. I think it would be ok to use, but the Streptomycin has me hesitant since I think it may cause side effects - can't remember. Is the medication new?

TRIGGER WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGES

We have a Buff Orpington Duck, approximately 7months old, not sure what weight exactly.
He's been attacked by a fox, leaving a large open wound on his front, we could see muscle and an internal organ.
Last night, we put some gauze on it and wrapped it in vet wrap. (it was very late in the night and we did our best with the limited research we had)

Today we took the gauze off and found it to be very stinky (which we think is a sign of infection or rotting flesh) and greenish coloured. We rinsed it with saline solution, and dabbed it with a little bit of gauze to try to clean it up, and then rewrapped it.

I have attached a picture of what it looks like and was wondering if anyone has had experience with this kind of injury and could give us some suggestions for treatment. Wondering if anyone knows about what kind of infection this could be and what the likelihood of him not recovering is. View attachment 2936097View attachment 2936101
it looks pretty deep so i would sudjest going to the vet as soon as possible and give him antibiotics

The penicillin and streptomycin would probably be fine, it is a little old fashioned but those work well together. Is there a dosage on the package? Most of those packets are for huge amounts of water. I second or third the advice about getting something to flush the wound. Chlorhexidene 2 % is good or Betadine 10%, and those should be available at a pharmacy or perhaps some feed stores. In the meantime, you can make a saline solution with 1/2 tsp of salt and an 8 ounce cup of water, boil it for 2 minutes in the microwave, and let it cool. That can be squirted in the wound twice a day with a syringe or a turkey baster.

Back
Top Bottom