Duck Breed Focus - Welsh Harlequin

Pics
Yep, that's how they turned out
thumbsup.gif

Here they are at 4 wks. Rhonda and Rousey on the left and Big Boy right back.

at about 6 wks.

I need to get some current pictures. They are going on 15 wks and Big Boy has a full on green head and white neck ring. His drake feather is just now starting to come in. The below picture is from last week. It's kind of washed out but you can definitely see him.
I think the one with the green head is the drake
hide.gif

Seriously, very nice pics
big_smile.png

I think the one with the green head is the drake :oops: .

Seriously, very nice pics :D .

Lol ;)
Oh what lovely pictures. The are beautiful. Am so shocked at how quickly they change from being yellow little fluff balls in only 4 weeks. It's amazing. I can't wait to get mine outside with a bit more space and freedom though, yours look very happy. Thanks for sharing. X

I think the one with the green head is the drake
hide.gif

Seriously, very nice pics
big_smile.png
Thank you. Definitely a drake... proudly showing off his new drake feather, lol

Lol
wink.png

Oh what lovely pictures. The are beautiful. Am so shocked at how quickly they change from being yellow little fluff balls in only 4 weeks. It's amazing. I can't wait to get mine outside with a bit more space and freedom though, yours look very happy. Thanks for sharing. X
Thank you. It is unreal how fast they grow and their colors change.

I will post an update when I know what mine are. Fingers crossed for the same!
I thought you might like to see what our Zachary Quack looked like when he was 2 days old. He had a pink beak with dark tip and we chose him because of this, convinced he was a girl. So he started off life as Daisy and we looked forward to her egg laying capabilities. But by 10 weeks, the few quacks that he uttered (probably his 'breaking' teenage voice) were replaced by the male rasp and his plumage had started to change. He now looks like @Ren2014 's Big Boy. Here is Zachary quack at 2 days old (with his Magpie duck sister) and at 6 weeks old:

I thought you might like to see what our Zachary Quack looked like when he was 2 days old. He had a pink beak with dark tip and we chose him because of this, convinced he was a girl. So he started off life as Daisy and we looked forward to her egg laying capabilities. But by 10 weeks, the few quacks that he uttered (probably his 'breaking' teenage voice) were replaced by the male rasp and his plumage had started to change. He now looks like @Ren2014 's Big Boy. Here is Zachary quack at 2 days old (with his Magpie duck sister) and at 6 weeks old:

Great pictures! Sorry Daisy fooled ya
smile.png
It's always fun to try and guess and think we got it and then NOT. I had two Lavender orps change genders on me, lol

I have read according to Dave Holderead, this method is 90% accurate. You got the sneaky 10%. I hope it wasn't a disastrous outcome. I would have certainly called female from that pic. It is still worth while though. If you are right even with the odds and ignore the bill, and you get 10 WH, you end up with 5 boys, 5 girls (probably not a good idea) - if you sex by bill you get 1 boy, 9 girls (10% loss in eggs, but a nice little flock). This is probably as good or better than vent sexing by someone without experience. (All identified boys are boys, but some identified girls are shy boys.
wink.png
)

Lovely pictures! Yes I've also read only 90% accurate - naughty little Zachary. He looks just like my two "girls" when they first hatched. I've called mine Jemima and rebeccah after the 2 ducks in Beatrix potters story of Jemima puddle duck. Although I realise I may well have a Jeremy and Richard instead haha
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png

I have read according to Dave Holderead, this method is 90% accurate.  You got the sneaky 10%.  I hope it wasn't a disastrous outcome.  I would have certainly called female from that pic.  It is still worth while though.  If you are right even with the odds and ignore the bill, and you get 10 WH, you end up with 5 boys, 5 girls (probably not a good idea) - if you sex by bill you get 1 boy, 9 girls (10% loss in eggs, but a nice little flock).  This is probably as good or better than vent sexing by someone without experience.  (All identified boys are boys, but some identified girls are shy boys.;) )
Yeah, it's the same with human ultrasounds. I hear that when they get the wrong gender it tends to be with girls. So if you're told you're having a boy, then it's a boy, but if your told it's a girl there's a small possibly it could be a boy that's "shy". I guess any method that try's to predict in advance can never be 100%.

Back
Top Bottom