TheBirdBabe

Songster
10 Years
Jun 8, 2013
Hello there! 👋🏻

Recently my ducks started laying eggs! We are so excited because my chickens are slacking lately. lol

I'm curious to know what everyone's opinions are on this. I have (1) female Blue Swedish, (2) female Mallards & (2) female Cayugas. I also have a "mutt". She's a very dark bird, like a Cayuga but you can definitely see she has some mallard in her.

So I'm getting 6 eggs daily, 4 white & 2 that are blue\green.. like an olive color. Are the 2 Cayugas laying the blue eggs & the others are laying the white eggs? I thought Cayuga eggs were a grey\black? 🤔

I attached a picture.. please excuse the dirty eggs. They have been laying in the grass & we FINALLY got some much needed rain yesterday! 🎉

Attachments

• IMG_20220823_075131899.jpg
    IMG_20220823_075131899.jpg
    496.8 KB · Views: 49
I'm guessing your mallards are laying the green eggs, your cayugas are laying the two eggs on the far left (they have a darker tint to them), and one of the greens could be from your swedish but I'm still guessing mallard.

I'm guessing your mallards are laying the green eggs, your cayugas are laying the two eggs on the far left (they have a darker tint to them), and one of the greens could be from your swedish but I'm still guessing mallard.
Hmm.. interesting take! I've never heard of Mallards laying colored eggs. I used to have 2 & only got boring white eggs out of them! 🤣

Hmm.. interesting take! I've never heard of Mallards laying colored eggs. I used to have 2 & only got boring white eggs out of them! 🤣
My mallards typically lay light green eggs until they run out of ink then the eggs become more white. lol. They were laying in an area under my coop where no other ducks could get to, so that's how I knew they were mallard eggs.

The cayuga eggs will run out of ink too... mine started almost black and now are very very faintly colored gray. I loved the super dark black ones.
Same here. They were so pretty at the start of the laying season. But it only lasted a few weeks, at most. Then they all started getting lighter and lighter.

My Mallards only lay white eggs They are gone now & I have 1 pure drake &2 white Pekins. That's where I got all my eggs this year. now I have 15 Mallard/Pekin cross.
Anybody want a couple of large ducks?

Back
Top Bottom