Duck eggs - Staggered/Early Lockdown?

Jelibaen

Songster
Aug 15, 2021
Alberta, Canada
Heyo its me again!

I bought a Nuture Right 360 to incubate my own eggs this year - super excited - and I put 20 in on Wednesday. Candled today and we are almost all viable!! I was expecting a much lower fertility rate.
Which brings me to my problem. I got Khaki Campbell eggs from another lady. And they are very important - I really want them to do well.

So I guess I have 2 options.

1. Lockdown all of the eggs on Day 25 for the first ones (day 21 for the second batch)
2. Keep turning the second batch by hand and keep a SUPER close eye on humidity.

I'm not sure what to do here. I've bitten off more than I can chew but I still have to deal with it.
Any advice appreciated!! Hoping this goes better than last year... 2/5 eggs hatched last year, both drakes, both my absolute babies. But I didn't lower the temp to 98.5 and I dont think I kept the humidity up enough. It was also a super cheap incubator.

N360 dont let me down.

From my understanding turning the last week is not necessary, Maybe try going into lockdown when it is time for the first set, but keep humidity at minimum for hatching until you see the first pip.

So quick update: I thought none of the eggs were growing so I took them out before work. Got home and candled again and had a weird feeling to candle these ones again and lo and behold I had veins.

I'm not sure if they are still good now that I've cooled them down all day but we will find out! They are back in the incubator now. Perhaps they will hatch late but we shall see.

Only way to learn is to learn from mistakes. This is why they say wait until day 7 to make any decisions on candling!

Heyo its me again!

I bought a Nuture Right 360 to incubate my own eggs this year - super excited - and I put 20 in on Wednesday. Candled today and we are almost all viable!! I was expecting a much lower fertility rate.
Which brings me to my problem. I got Khaki Campbell eggs from another lady. And they are very important - I really want them to do well.

So I guess I have 2 options.

1. Lockdown all of the eggs on Day 25 for the first ones (day 21 for the second batch)
2. Keep turning the second batch by hand and keep a SUPER close eye on humidity.

I'm not sure what to do here. I've bitten off more than I can chew but I still have to deal with it.
Any advice appreciated!! Hoping this goes better than last year... 2/5 eggs hatched last year, both drakes, both my absolute babies. But I didn't lower the temp to 98.5 and I dont think I kept the humidity up enough. It was also a super cheap incubator.

N360 dont let me down.
I had the same issue with my duck eggs, 4 days between them. I let lockdown ride as normal, it was fine! The younger egg hatched a little late. But all was fine.
For peace of mind you could wait until the first egg internally pips before increasing the humidity.
You don't need to lower the temp at lockdown, thats done for very large clutches of eggs, not really necessary.
Also you should always wait at least a week before tossing any eggs, its best to wait 10 days.
But I expect these will be okay, eggs can survive cooling for short periods of time. Keep them in the incubator and candle again tomorrow to check if theyre alright

Back
Top Bottom