Duck has one leg shaking periodically

Snostorm

Chirping
Aug 19, 2021
Hi all

Apologies for another thread, I've just found this place to be the best for info!

We have one of our ducks in the house atm due to wet feather, she's currently got a small bumble on her right foot which we are treating. I noticed today that he left foot is periodically shaking while she's standing or walking. I've put a video on YouTube here's a link to show it

This was taken in between her right foot being wrapped, it's usually got vet wrap on it that last few days with drawing paste to help the bumble. She's just enjoying some lettuce in it.

She's able to stand on the leg alone while tucking her other foot up. Also able to walk about and hasn't lost balance at all while standing and scratching her head with her other foot. There's no scratches or bumbles on her left foot. She gets duck adult pellets, grit and eggshell, also lettuce and mealworms as treats. Plus a calcium supplement when laying.

Could she be favouring the left leg due to her bumble and it's put a bit more pressure on that leg?

She's been sitting alot more the past week but we had put that down to her bumble, not sure if this is something else? She's also stopped laying eggs about a week ago but our outside females also stopped at the same time so guessing that's seasonal related. Another slight change recently is that she's started having small spray poops when blowing her nose in her water, she's never done that before this past week.

Just looking for some info on if it's anything to be worried about or if its a side effect of the bumble on her other foot. Cheers!!

Usually shaky leg can mean niacin deficiency but with your beautiful duck being an adult it doesn’t usually happen but I’d still go ahead and treat it that way. Has she ever been on niacin supplements . It wouldn’t hurt to add some Nutritional yeast to her feed. 1 Tab to each cup of feed. I still put it over my adult ducks feed periodically because it’s so good for them.

Usually shaky leg can mean niacin deficiency but with your beautiful duck being an adult it doesn’t usually happen but I’d still go ahead and treat it that way. Has she ever been on niacin supplements . It wouldn’t hurt to add some Nutritional yeast to her feed. 1 Tab to each cup of feed. I still put it over my adult ducks feed periodically because it’s so good for them.
No we haven't had her on niacin supplements so far, I'll pick some up tomorrow thanks for that info!

She's been fairly docile the past few days, we had our it down to her bumblefoot but I'm not so sure now. Today she's eaten maybe half of what she normally eats and has been sat in the corner of our room with her head resting against the sofa underneath me. She's usually much more active so I'm starting to worry she's more ill than just bumblefoot.

Did you clean out the bumble foot ?
Are you able to let her sit in the tub in warm water for awhile this will help her legs and take her body weight off
Also because she isn’t outside and isn’t eating as much as usual giving her vitamin in her water or straight on the side of her beak may help
I use poly vi sol it’s infant vitamins ( without iron )
Also as miss Lydia says maybe some niacin
Either vitamin B complex in the water or on side of beak or on treats
Also some nutritional yeast on the feed
Hopefully these things work and get her up and going again

Did you clean out the bumble foot ?
Are you able to let her sit in the tub in warm water for awhile this will help her legs and take her body weight off
Also because she isn’t outside and isn’t eating as much as usual giving her vitamin in her water or straight on the side of her beak may help
I use poly vi sol it’s infant vitamins ( without iron )
Also as miss Lydia says maybe some niacin
Either vitamin B complex in the water or on side of beak or on treats
Also some nutritional yeast on the feed
Hopefully these things work and get her up and going again
So as it's a small bumble the treatment plan was epsom salt soaks, vetericyn spray and then a drawing salve and wrap.

Ill definitely up her vitamins, we've got some intervits powder and I'll be getting some nutritional yeast tomorrow. We're thinking if she doesn't start eating normally by Monday we'll do a trip to the vets

So an update this our little lady, the leg shaking has gotten much better over the last day which is good, however we think it could have been a precursor to what's happening now. She's been wheezing alot today, and needing to blow her nose in water alot more often. I figured this was down to her moulting, we have lots of tiny little feathers everywhere so figured she kept getting them stuck in her nose.

However she was sneezing/blowing her nose out of water and I noticed a yellow discharge squirted out from where she was sneezing. It's the first time it's happened. I've attached a picture aswell. So this is likely a respiratory infection.

We have a vet appointment booked for Thursday evening as it's the first available appointment they had. Is there anything we can do in the next 3 days to help her before the vet can diagnose what she needs?

Many thanks!!

Attachments

• PXL_20220613_162937399.jpg
    PXL_20220613_162937399.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 3
You can put some ACV with mother in her water container 1-2 Tab per gallon.
Bedding dry? seems we're seeing some others thinking their duck may have Aspergillosis. Which is fungal.
Will do! She's been living inside with us so there's very little chance it'll be Aspergillosis. Her bedding has been puppy pads and soft towels for the past month.

She's not had a loss in appetite but she has stopped laying, so has our outside ducks though. She has been sleeping a lot more. Could the bumblefoot have possibly led to a respiratory infection? The bumble is very small and healing well

I've never heard of that happening . Glad we can rule out Asper boy that sounds like a hard one to get over.
Yeah we are so careful with the bedding on our outside ducks due to that stuff!

Ok cool, we'll do that ACV in her water and I've also got a squirter with saline solution should she need real help, we'll be sleeping close by her till Thursday just in case! Thanks for your help again 🙂

Back
Top Bottom