Duck limp

4Duckssofar

Chirping
Apr 16, 2021
Hi, my Aylesbury duck is limping and her limp seems to be getting worse. My question is, should I bath her in cool or warm water? I’m doing Epsom salts too, should this be cool or warm water? Thanks in advance.

I recommend bathing in cool water for soft tissue injuries, since cool water decreases blood flow to the area, while warm water will do the opposite - cool water will do a better job at reducing the swelling.
Reducing the bird's movement, and starting her on NSAID's for the next few days will also help hasten healing. Aspirin can be given orally dosing 5miligrams per kilogram of body weight.

I recommend bathing in cool water for soft tissue injuries, since cool water decreases blood flow to the area, while warm water will do the opposite - cool water will do a better job at reducing the swelling.
Reducing the bird's movement, and starting her on NSAID's for the next few days will also help hasten healing. Aspirin can be given orally dosing 5miligrams per kilogram of body weight.
This is the leg/foot that she doesn’t want to put down in the ground when she walks. She will stand on it but the foot does not go flat, almost like she wants to stand on her top toes. Does the leg look normal to you?

Attachments

• CCF3BEB7-7F65-4678-A819-750EBD18D3F1.png
    CCF3BEB7-7F65-4678-A819-750EBD18D3F1.png
    3 MB · Views: 7
  • FDD6B1BE-3B39-4936-8FD9-DAB35091922F.jpeg
    FDD6B1BE-3B39-4936-8FD9-DAB35091922F.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 7
  • A12BE8C1-7CAB-4D2A-BAE2-BF4F6A10435D.jpeg
    A12BE8C1-7CAB-4D2A-BAE2-BF4F6A10435D.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 7
This is the leg/foot that she doesn’t want to put down in the ground when she walks. She will stand on it but the foot does not go flat, almost like she wants to stand on her top toes. Does the leg look normal to you?
With a leg injury, the bird is going to be lifting the leg up to more, and distributing most of the weight to the healthy leg to reduce pressure on the injured area.
That is common.
Besides the leg lifted up slightly more, I don't see anything abnormal.

With a leg injury, the bird is going to be lifting the leg up to more, and distributing most of the weight to the healthy leg to reduce pressure on the injured area.
That is common.
Besides the leg lifted up slightly more, I don't see anything abnormal.
Thank you for your reassurance! She does seem to be getting better very slowly but surely. I guess I just need to be patient, I just hate seeing her struggle.

@4Duckssofar, did your duck make a complete recovery? My duck currently has a very similar limp.
Hi, sorry to hear your duck has a limp ☹️My girl didn’t make a full recovery, but she lives a very happy, pain free life just with a little limp, some days she’s better than others. She still manages to keep up with everyone else 🥰 I gave her as much swim time as was possible and I believe this strengthened her leg. Epsom salt was also great for her!

Back
Top Bottom