Duck living with chickens

JenniferJoIN

Songster
12 Years
Sep 10, 2007
Southern Indiana
When I ordered my chicks through Ideal last week, she mentioned that they were having a sale on ducks and asked if I would like to add some to my order. I laughed at the time, but of course now I'm reconsidering.

If I was to just get 1 duck, and let it stay with the chickens would it be okay? I would probably get it a kiddie pool, but other than that, would it be 'just another chicken?'

Any responses are greatly appreciated!

I am sorry but if your going to get ducks then the ducks belong with ducks and chickens with chickens. Being the ducks can just play the feathers off the bums of the chicks. As one older farmer told me... never let species that are different live together unless they help each other. Like Horses and Goats. Chickens with chickens but a turkey can be with them and ducks and geese etc...

Arklady

I've read that you're not SUPPOSED to put them together, but I did anyway. I did give the ducks their own section in the coop, because their poo is really, really wet. And they are MESSY. And I deep litter, except not the duck area. I just put a 2x4 down on the floor of the coop, and put a piece of 3 feet high plywood attached to the 2x4, for a short wall, leaving an opening at the front part so they can get in and out. I block them in at night, again, just to contain the poo. They get along great. They've grown up together, so it's never been a problem for us. They all flock together as they free-range.

You DO need at least two ducks together though. My 3 ducks stick together in their flock, and the chickens follow THEM around. Ducks are really really social, and they NEED a duck friend with them to be happy.

I have one duck with my chickens.. the duck is kinda mean to most of the chickens.. but gets along with a few... alot messier than the chickens.. she has eventually found her own place to sleep.. sometimes she goes with the chickens sometimes she dont.. she does fine without other ducks and just with the chickens..

I visit a nearby rooster & duck who live together after all their other little friends were given away. They seem to get along fine, although the rooster always hogs the treats I give them.

Personally my ducks sleep in the coop/run with my chickens. I have not had any problems as of yet (knock on wood). I let them out first thing in the morning and then they are the last ones in at night. I know what they say as for not keeping them together... but like I said, no issues here. All of my chickens and ducks grew up together along with turkeys too... The only problem I have is occasionally with my turkeys... but not a problem with the ducks... good luck on what ever you decide to do.

Hmm.... you guys are making this a hard decision!!
pop.gif

well I have 3 ducks and two of them grew up with my first group of chickens and for awhile they all got along great,but one of the drakes has started to get REAL FRIENDLY with the ladies so I had to give them thier own yard to protect my hens - they would love to sleep in the coop at night with the chickens but I cant trust the nasty drake to leave the hens alone. so every night after the chickens are safe in the coop I open the gate to the ducks yard which leads in to the chicken yard so they can have more room to move around ( until spring when we give them a big yard of thier own ) then before chickens come out put the ducks back in thier yard again and eveyone here seems fine with how things are now. I think a female duck would be fine with chickens but the males might try to breed the hens to death !!

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Back
Top Bottom