Duck pipped 36 hours ago- when should I intervene, and how?

DancingWthDucks

Songster
7 Years
Feb 21, 2016
Cumbria, UK
So I have a Fawn and White Indian Runner egg which pipped 36 hours ago (beginning of day 28) but has made little progress. It's rocking and chirping a lot so think it's still quite strong. I am feeling reluctant to open the incubator because there are 5 other eggs which have recently pipped, although I have assisted a chick hatch before and it survived. Humidity is currently 70% and temperature is 37.5*C.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks, Charlotte

Give it a little longer, and if it doesn't make any progress, quickly open the incubator and take the egg out. Peel off some of the shell from the pip and try not to damage the membrane. Note the color of the membrane, and if you accidentally tear it and there is some blood, the duckling needs more time to soak up the rest of the blood and yolk.

Hope all goes well! Please keep me updated!

Thank you for your reply FarmGal, I think I'll give it the rest of the day and if there is no more progress give it some help. I'll keep you updated :)

After no progress after 48 hours, we had to give it a helping hand. This morning it's doing great, and it's fluffed up and is running around with its hatch mates :). We discovered that it was actually malpositioned, so I'm glad that we stepped in and helped it.

(It's the duckling on the left hand side)

Back
Top Bottom