Duck Pond out of Koi -- Ideas?

tamiep

Songster
7 Years
Jun 3, 2016
Oswego, IL 60543, USA
I scored a free 700 gal koi pond that a real estate guy wanted off of a property. For some bizarre reason, the previous owner threw away the working pump, but still FREE POND. I want to set this up with as little work as possible, because I will get little to no help, but I want it to look good.

I was thinking about setting up in the corner of the year, building up wither cinder blocks/dirt around it. Making it somehow into a ramp on both sides, leaving a few feet in length exposed for easy access to the drain hole, which I will attach a hose and drain when needed. Not sure what I need to put under it. I'm thinking not gravel because that is sharp. It's heavy plastic, but still might crack.

I guess I'll need something to circulate the water. Not sure about a filter since ducks create so much mud. I was reading about wheat straw.

Any suggestions or ideas would be very helpful. I live in Illinois, so will not be starting this until spring.

Also, do ducks need a ramp inside the pond, as well? Will chickens fall in?

Score!! Congrats!

700 gallon is large. Do you have any way to bury it? Or does it have to stay on top of the ground?

There are lots of duck pool ideas on here, maybe search for ones you like and can possibly work for you, then we can help with particulars?

@shawluvsbirds has a nice setup and some great pics.

I used to do garden ponds. That large might need the support from at least a partial bury and backfill. Many of those aren't flat on the bottom but have differing depths. If it's flat it'll be easy enough to bury it say halfway.

When I had a heavy fish load I made a prefilter to protect my usual filter media. Which amounted to a big Rubbermaid tub installed higher than the pond and filled with lava rocks. The water trickles in then overflows into the pond, or another filter box with finer media.
Oops post error
Solids like mud settle into the bottom of the lava rock chamber, which you clean by draining.

Also, do ducks need a ramp inside the pond, as well? Will chickens fall in?
Nice!! As for a ramp, if it's buried, you dont need one in but you definitely need one coming out. The chickens might try drinking out of it, but I'm not sure if they would fall in?? Why don't you post a picture of the boat?? I'm thinking you could either do a deck style or buried.

Back
Top Bottom