Duck with broken leg

franrose

Chirping
11 Years
Aug 16, 2010
Don't remember who responded to my story about my duck's broken leg, but I thought I would give an update.
My Indian Runner's femur was broken badly by my dog (argument over a collard green, and the dog won.)
I took her to the vet and he said it was broken up high, near her torso, so if he splinted it, she would fight the splint.
The other options were surgically putting in a pin ($1,000), or letting her heal on her own. Well, even though a number
of friends chanted "duck soup!" I opted for the latter. I gave her a small dose of Metacam for three days, and then
kept her relatively immobile in a small pen by herself for 8 weeks. After three weeks, I started excercizing her in the kiddie pool.
The whole time, I kept her isolated from the Male(?) duck (see my other post on this story).
Now we are are almost 4 months out and I only detect a small limp. The vet was quite right! Birds have a phenomenal ability to heal broken bones.
So, if your duck breaks a leg . . . don't despair! It may heal just fine.

Last edited:
Fabulous news!

Thanks for sharing this - we all have different situations and gifts, but I tend to be able and willing to take the patient approach and not give up on an animal. So this confirms that it can be worth it. Of course, there are cases that don't turn out so well, but this is a good example to remember.

(I responded to your other post, by the way)

What a nice story! Glad yours turned out well. Your duck was lucky that it wasn't a severe break where it broke through the skin. I am always amazed at how animals are able to heal themselves.

Last edited:
That's great!! You have a very fortunate duck...and she an owner.
smile.png

I have a similar situation with my indian runner girl but opted for surgery because BOTH hips were broken. It's been a week and I am wondering how did you keep your duck from trying to walkor stand during the 8 weeks? Or did you just let her stand up in the small cage if she wanted to?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a similar situation with my indian runner girl but opted for surgery because BOTH hips were broken. It's been a week and I am wondering how did you keep your duck from trying to walkor stand during the 8 weeks? Or did you just let her stand up in the small cage if she wanted to?
Wow, I hope she makes a complete recovery!

Back
Top Bottom