duck with sores

Before we started dealing with her bumblefoot (she had 4, 2 on each foot), I tried researching which antibiotics to use, but the information is so hard to find. I know I posted on my FB page what the first antibiotic we gave her, but for the life of me I can't find it. The first antibiotic is from the vet who takes care of our dogs. He has chickens and for the life of me I can't remember which antibiotic he gave us. I have it written down, just need to find it.

Got it: the 1st antibiotic was Tylan and then Metcam for pain

Last edited:
When I checked your webpage/website it said that baytril is used to treat bumblefoot.

I wonder if we'd be better to give her the medicine orally. I didn't know we could do that. I have a feeling that the sores are from the shots.

I will start giving her kefir in the morning and try to get some cultured veggies and possibly ferment some fruit for her. She's pretty finicky.

Last edited:
Her foot looks like it's wonderfully improved!

With many diseases, the caution at the top of the Medicine Chart page applies to which medicines may work:

• Strain of disease --- In some cases, a specific medicine is only effective or more effective for a specific strain of a disease. If you have the opportunity to get relevant lab tests done, these can help narrow down which meds may be best to treat your bird's particular strain of a disease.

However, I am completely unsure of whether there are some strains of Staph infections that cause Bumblefoot and might be resistant to Baytril &/or Penicillin??

Thanks! It seems that whatever we have done for her has helped because her foot is essentially healed. She will have to be kept apart from the rest of the ducks at night so that, if/when she starts laying again we will not be able to sell her eggs. Hopefully, she will eventually be able to spend time with the rest of the ducks eventually. Right now it's best for her to hang with the chickens. I truly think the sores on her neck were from our inexperience with giving shots. Overall they didn't seem to bother her, I think they itched some. These birds are a continual learning process. It is so much easier to have a support system to bounce ideas off and I truly appreciate your help.

Awww the poor baby!! :( I'm sorry your duck has sores and I hope you'll find something to do the trick soon! Looks very uncomfortable.
sad.png
Strangely enough - those markings look like my grandfather's dog looked after it was attacked by a large German Shepherd.....did something bite your duck?

Thanks for your concern. Those marks couldn't be from a dog because she has been spending her days in a large fenced in area with chickens. Our dogs are the only ones around her and she intimidates them. Her main issue now is balance. Whatever happened to cause her to quit walking is taking even longer than the bumblefoot. We know she's feeling much better because she's a booger when it's time to put her in for the night.

I know this is an older thread, but just curious if you considered an injection site reaction with the baytril causing necrosis? This is pretty common when the baytril injection is given subcutaneous (under the skin) and not intramuscular (in the muscle) as intended. Hope everything turned out ok for your duck!

Her foot looks like it's wonderfully improved!

With many diseases, the caution at the top of the Medicine Chart page applies to which medicines may work:

• Strain of disease --- In some cases, a specific medicine is only effective or more effective for a specific strain of a disease. If you have the opportunity to get relevant lab tests done, these can help narrow down which meds may be best to treat your bird's particular strain of a disease.

However, I am completely unsure of whether there are some strains of Staph infections that cause Bumblefoot and might be resistant to Baytril &/or Penicillin??

Later note:
Here is some additional info I have since found:

"Staphylococcus Infections in Broiler Breeders" - article in Aviatech:
The majority of S. aureus isolated from poultry are sensitive to penicillin but sensitivity tests should always be performed, as antibiotic resistance is common. Penicillin resistance may develop quickly in birds undergoing treatment, so it may be beneficial to switch to another antibiotic after five to seven days of penicillin therapy. Other water-soluble antibiotics that may be effective include erythromycin, lincomycin and tetracyclines. If the problem is specifically in males, it may be worth considering the use of an injectable, long-acting antibiotic. Consult your poultry veterinarian for advice on antibiotic selection, as some antibiotics can only be used when prescribed by a licensed veterinarian.
"Poultry Diseases" – Jordan:
Control – Birds in the early stages of infection and disease may respond to treatment but those with well established lesions are unlikely to respond. S. Aureus in inherently a rather resistant organism. Penicillin, streptomycin, tetracyclines, erythromycin, novobiocin, sulphonamide, lincomycin, spectinomycin and fluoroquinolones have all been used with some success, but antibiotic resistance is common.

Back
Top Bottom