Duck with stuck out wings

Tinkey71

Songster
Nov 8, 2018
Florida
i have one duck that seems to have some of its feathers stuck out/ up - was wondering if this is a normal thing for birds just getting in all their feathers?
Sorry the pictures are not great / blurry- the ducks are skittish and hard to get good photos of

Attachments

• A4CC7C2C-6F1F-4FDF-95DA-E6D77FCF107A.jpeg
    A4CC7C2C-6F1F-4FDF-95DA-E6D77FCF107A.jpeg
    315.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 39B918FF-7367-499A-A35B-C080AC9F11CF.jpeg
    39B918FF-7367-499A-A35B-C080AC9F11CF.jpeg
    284.1 KB · Views: 26
  • A24A320C-ABFD-4AC9-AB2A-A902C9EB5CCF.jpeg
    A24A320C-ABFD-4AC9-AB2A-A902C9EB5CCF.jpeg
    227.1 KB · Views: 27
I would give him/her some raw oats(they are great for helping angle wing).
Angel wing is not well understood...

I usually try to find out what people are feeding including treats and supplements before making diet suggestions.

Please, share links or information you have on how or WHY oats would be great for helping angel wing? I am not saying it doesn't... I'm just a need to know the logic type person. Thank you!

I agree with the others that it appears to be a case of angel wing. Depending on the age of the duck, if it's still growing, and how long the wing has been like this will all factor into whether or not it can be corrected. It is not something that heals or goes away on it's own, but ducks can live perfectly healthy lives with this condition. I have one duck I adopted that has angel wing, she's always had it, she always will, and she gets along just fine.

However, there is also a chance that this stems from injury, in which case wrapping the wing will give it a chance to rest and let the muscles etc. heal up. and may help regardless of the other factors mentioned regarding angel wing.

I usually try to find out what people are feeding including treats and supplements before making diet suggestions.

Please, share links or information you have on how or WHY oats would be great for helping angel wing? I am not saying it doesn't... I'm just a need to know the logic type person. Thank you!
Sure! No problem! I always forget to give links and stuff to back up what I have said..sorry. ok so I don't have a link for this particular thing but in the book Duck eggs daily( Here is the book link: https://www.amazon.com/Duck-Eggs-Da...id=1547916721&sr=1-1&keywords=duck+eggs+daily), there is a chapter on health issues.There is a section on angle wing and it said that giving raw oats can help with angle wing. If I need to do any more research to this I will, but I read it and was just suggesting something to the OP.

http://www.duckdvm.com/condition/angel-wing Here is one great article I found - doesn’t mention raw oats, but good info

My old eyes can not make out the problem in your pictures. Do an on site search on 'angel wing' and see if indeed that is what you are dealing with. Several POSSIBLE solutions have been given. Your birds look fairly mature so correction may be more difficult. Angel wing is not a health hazard - it is just somewhat unsightly.

How old is the Duck? How long has the wing been this way? A better clear picture also. Is it molting it's flight feathers?
The ducks are around 11 weeks- got them on Halloween ( day old) - I noticed the wing about a week or so ago
Getting good pictures is hard , I hung out in their coop for awhile trying to get pics and every time I raised the camera they flocked to the other side. I got the ones above by taking pictures outside the coop and zooming in.

Back
Top Bottom