Duck with swollen foot

Until I get the baytril will this help in the meantime?

Attachments

• IMG_4385.jpeg
    IMG_4385.jpeg
    320.4 KB · Views: 3
What kind of antibiotic are we talking about? Is it something over counter like from tractor supply? I may have something already on hand. 🤞

can you take a picture of the underside too?
does it feel warm/hot ?
I have 2 welsh harlequins with what looked very similar big swollen toe in the middle of the foot and they were limping and at that time I was able to take them to an avian vet And he wanted to do surgery he said the infection was inside the joint because it was not Bumblefoot but when I told him I couldn’t afford the surgery, he said antibiotics might work and he prescribed antibiotics for both of them and it did work and now it’s seven years later and they never had another problem like that. so perhaps antibiotics would take care of your ducks issue. I’m just not sure which antibiotic maybe @casportpony can suggest one and the dosage.
@Miss Lydia
for now I would start giving her warm Epsom salt water foot soaks (try not to let her drink any. It will cause diarrhea )and give her access to swimming pool so she can keep her weight off of it, but yeah, please get a picture of the bottom of her foot too first.
So sorry I missed your message. I didn’t realize anyone had responded. It is warm to the touch. I started soaking her foot again in epsom salt. I usually do about 15 minutes. Would you recommend doing it more than once a day? Also, attached is a photo of the bottom from today. I now see a black dot which I didn’t notice before

Attachments

• IMG_7603.jpeg
    IMG_7603.jpeg
    471.9 KB · Views: 2
So sorry I missed your message. I didn’t realize anyone had responded. It is warm to the touch. I started soaking her foot again in epsom salt. I usually do about 15 minutes. Would you recommend doing it more than once a day? Also, attached is a photo of the bottom from today. I now see a black dot which I didn’t notice before
@Jenbirdee

Something is defiantly going on in there either infection or an injury. Did you examine the foot for a cut, splinter, thorn?
This what it says on box so I don’t think this will work…
VetRx for Poultry is a natural remedy available to the backyard chicken keeper. Aids in treatment of colds, respiratory illness, scaly legs and eye worms.
I did inspect for thorns by feeling but couldn’t do by myself. Would need to get another pair of hands to see if there’s a splinter or cut. Will try to get help tonight to see.

i would apply this epson salt poultice after soaking, and then bandage and wrap it well leave that on for 24 hours and take it off soak reapply bandage again. It looks like it’s softening, and opening up the wound and hopefully will drain the infection but I still think an antibiotic would be helpful. I just don’t know which one to tell you to use, I know that Baytril is pretty much an all-around good one for most things .
171813EE-FC18-4D63-848E-3230579E4FD7.jpeg

i think @Miss Lydia has a link for a pet store website that you can get Baytril from. It’s like a bird store or something. I will see if I can find the dosage information. I recently recently treated one of my ducks with it for salpingitis.
I also think amoxicillin might be good as well, but I’m really not an ant antibiotics expert. That’s why I tried to tag @casportpony I was hoping she would see this

Last edited:
oh, and hey by the way, if you want an easier way to soak your ducks foot for longer than 15 minutes, you can use a 5 gallon bucket and with a lid and you cut a section of the lid off like a U-shaped on one side so she can stick her head out the top but can’t jump or fly out and won’t be able to drink from the water and you can just set her in there like that for half an hour not have to hold her the whole Time

Back
Top Bottom