Duckling brooding checkpoint

GerobakAyam

Chirping
Apr 6, 2020
Hi folks, looking for input as my 4 1/2 weeks checkpoint.
I am wondering if these ducklings can spend most days outside already?
Seems like too early from their age, but looks fine from their behavior and feathers.
Weather in Seattle is around 50s during the day.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_9288.jpg

They do have coop to sleep in. If this setup is okay, I am planning to get them to get into coop on sunset or when it hits below 50F.

I also have question until what weeks we can bring the food and water outside their coop?

Thanks!

I dont put ducklings outside until they are fully feathered at 8 weeks. I often take younger ducks like yours out for a time in the sun and to bathe in a wading pool, but stay with them.they are very vulnerable to hawks when they are small. None go to sleep in the coup before 12 weeks. If you have other ducks, they need partitioning off at night until even older -- 5 to 6 months depending on the welcomIng or not behavior of the older ducks

I myself don't have any issues having them outside overnight when they're younger, but I always have my ducklings during the summer, and always a minimum of four, if not more. I don't integrate them into the flock until they are older, though, and I do so carefully.

Everyone has a method that works best for them, makes them more comfortable.

As for the food and water question, I'm not sure what you mean. You want to feed them *inside* the coop? I recommend not doing that, unless you want flies and other bugs and possibly mice and rats, not to mention the horrible mess.

I myself don't have any issues having them outside overnight when they're younger, but I always have my ducklings during the summer, and always a minimum of four, if not more. I don't integrate them into the flock until they are older, though, and I do so carefully.

Everyone has a method that works best for them, makes them more comfortable.

As for the food and water question, I'm not sure what you mean. You want to feed them *inside* the coop? I recommend not doing that, unless you want flies and other bugs and possibly mice and rats, not to mention the horrible mess.
Thanks Canadian Wind,
For ducklings they need food/water 24/7 no? For now I put their food and water inside the coop.
But as I integrate them for outdoor enclosure, I wish I can put food/water there. So less mess inside the coop, but that means no food/water in the evening.

Thanks Canadian Wind,
For ducklings they need food/water 24/7 no? For now I put their food and water inside the coop.
But as I integrate them for outdoor enclosure, I wish I can put food/water there. So less mess inside the coop, but that means no food/water in the evening.
AH, okay. No, they don't need it 24/7. They can easily go without overnight. Maybe when they just hatched, but at the age of yours, they don't :)

Back
Top Bottom