Duckling Feed and 1 Million Other Questions

I'm not trying to fight with you and I hope I didn't offend you, but telling new members who are just starting out with ducklings to try feeding 2X a day and you haven't even done it to know how they will react, Is not good information. My ducklings and ducks would gorge themselves if fed that way. And that sure wouldn't be good for their health.

Yes please tell me, would like to hear about it.

Constant crying in the brooder because they were hungry and when I did give them the feed they acted like the hadn't eaten for days. IMO, It is more natural for them to not have food available at night, In the wild, they sleep under there mother and only forage during the day, but a course to achieve that you would have to use a heating pad instead of a heat lamp since it would light their brooder up too much.

Constant crying in the brooder because they were hungry and when I did give them the feed they acted like the hadn't eaten for days. IMO, It is more natural for them to not have food available at night, In the wild, they sleep under there mother and only forage during the day, but a course to achieve that you would have to use a heating pad instead of a heat lamp since it would light their brooder up too much.
How did you feed them?

The book says 15 to 20 minuets i think, it also mentions that you must have enough feeder space for all ducks to eat at once. Do you think they ate their fill in that time or do you think they were getting cut off?

There were only three ducks, and I took the feed away once they stopped eating. They were getting plenty, but after an hour they were back looking for something to eat, actually noticed some trying to eat the bedding.

I like the idea of dark brooder at night, i have the ceramic heat bulbs but i have found that they are a little hard to work with. They give off lots of direct radiant heat but dont heat the air much. The mhp is a good idea but all heating pads i could source have a safety shutoff after an hour. I realy wanted to go that rout i just could not find a heat source.

There were only three ducks, and I took the feed away once they stopped eating. They were getting plenty, but after an hour they were back looking for something to eat, actually noticed some trying to eat the bedding.
You definitely dont want that! My ducklings are like big lazy pekins, they just sit by the food dish and eat. Once i get a food trough made i will try it and see what happens.

If you type up "heating pads for ducklings/chicks" You will find many on the market for this exact purpose, and no they don't shut off after an hour. I like them because they are safer than a heat lamp, and replicate more of how they would be in a natural environment. I need to get one at some point.

Back
Top Bottom