Duckling waterer

ellieanne22

Songster
7 Years
Nov 26, 2016
KC MO area
My ducklings just arrived today and I have them set up in their brooder with a low, wide water bowl that was recommended to me as they could not knock it over. However, the ducklings have been in their brooder less than 20 minutes and have taken to the water, well, like ducks. I know that swimming is a no no for the beginning, do I need to switch out the water bowl for something else to remove temptation? This is my first time raising ducks and I am admittedly paranoid about doing something wrong and hurting them.

Attachments

• 20230511_102434.jpg
    20230511_102434.jpg
    639.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 20230511_102425.jpg
    20230511_102425.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 6
A duckling waterer should help solve the problem. you can get them at your local TSC, online, or any livestock store near you.
They look like this: CLICK HERE!
I can help if you have any other questions! :)
Hope this helps!

I use a small container (like an empty cottage cheese container) with a semicircle cut out of the top as a waterer. I increase the size of the waterer as the waterfowl grow larger, but the opening is never large enough for them to get into, for safety. I think you'll find that this type of waterer will significantly reduce the water mess in their brooder.

@Miss Lydia has some examples in this thread that you may find helpful. Best of luck with your new ducklings!

A duckling waterer should help solve the problem. you can get them at your local TSC, online, or any livestock store near you.
They look like this: CLICK HERE!
I can help if you have any other questions! :)
Hope this helps!
Thank you for your reply. I had bought a standard type waterer before I heard that they may be prone to tip it over, so I will change to that! Thank you!

I use a small container (like an empty cottage cheese container) with a semicircle cut out of the top as a waterer. I increase the size of the waterer as the waterfowl grow larger, but the opening is never large enough for them to get into, for safety. I think you'll find that this type of waterer will significantly reduce the water mess in their brooder.

@Miss Lydia has some examples in this thread that you may find helpful. Best of luck with your new ducklings!
Thank you, I will keep this in mind! I have a standard waterer that I have put in for now, but if a mess is a problem I will definitely try this out. Thanks!

If
Thank you for your reply. I had bought a standard type waterer before I heard that they may be prone to tip it over, so I will change to that! Thank you!
you have an uneven surface, you can place a flat rock or something like that under it to keep it level, and prevent them from sitting in and wasting the water.

Messy, wet, messy wet...tiny adorables.
I'm using a small waterer and a container with holes cut out in the top. Both sitting on a pan to catch the spills. Still a wet mess. :lol:
Yes, that was one of my first observations- that people were not over exaggerating the mess! :lau But they are so adorable that I'm enchanted anyway. If they continue being as sweet as they have been for the past 24 hours, I think I might find them more addicting than chickens!

If

you have an uneven surface, you can place a flat rock or something like that under it to keep it level, and prevent them from sitting in and wasting the water.
Smart! The surface it's on is pretty level and they do pretty well with it. They do occasionally still try (and succeed) to get a foot in it. Would it be too difficult for them to drink if I put it on something like a rock to raise it up? I'm less concerned with the mess at the moment, as I have the time to refill and clean the waterer and take out wet bedding as needed, but I don't want them to get too cold/sick. I don't know how big of a concern that actually is for them, but I'd like to avoid it.

Smart! The surface it's on is pretty level and they do pretty well with it. They do occasionally still try (and succeed) to get a foot in it. Would it be too difficult for them to drink if I put it on something like a rock to raise it up? I'm less concerned with the mess at the moment, as I have the time to refill and clean the waterer and take out wet bedding as needed, but I don't want them to get too cold/sick. I don't know how big of a concern that actually is for them, but I'd like to avoid it.
They should be okay if it's raised, as long as it's not too high up for them to reach.

Back
Top Bottom