Duckling wing development

They are beautiful ducks and look very normal. If feeding I would have stayed with the All flock since it’s formulated for all poultry including water fowl.
Thank you! I got scared feeding the all flock because the protein is so high. I worry so much about angel wing, but I know they forage for food too so it's not like they only eat what we give them, I probably shouldn't worry so much lol.

They look good so far.

Oatmeal and a bag of oats from the farm store are not quite the same thing (though they may start from the same plant). Something like this is safe, though not likely necessary.

DesktopPdpHeroImage

Since they are wild and out foraging they should be able to find a lot of what they need. You providing some commercial feed will give them a leg up since they don't have mama to show them the best things to eat and the best places to find it. They look good so far, keep it up!

A lot of members here feed all flock because it has everything they need and with foraging the protein level drops some. Main thing is the niacin levels in the all flock is where it should be for water fowl.
Ok this is good to know! I was curious about niacin because I know if they were only eating the chick crumbs I would need to add that. I was hoping since they forage they would be ok. Perhaps a blend of the crumbs and all flock would be ok?

Also, I watch them a lot and I have never seen them dive in the creek while other babies smaller than these dive a ton. Is that something they would have learned from their mother?

They look good so far.

Oatmeal and a bag of oats from the farm store are not quite the same thing (though they may start from the same plant). Something like this is safe, though not likely necessary.

DesktopPdpHeroImage

Since they are wild and out foraging they should be able to find a lot of what they need. You providing some commercial feed will give them a leg up since they don't have mama to show them the best things to eat and the best places to find it. They look good so far, keep it up!
Thank you, that's great to hear! I really loves these babies. I didn't realize rolled oats from the store would not be the same, perhaps I will go up to the farm supply and see what they have then. I'm not sure why I didn't think about that lol.

X2 on the all flock. As for angel wing, it's not well understood and many things can contribute to it. Would it surprise you to know that some people feed a low protein food and see angel wing in their flock, while others feed very high protein and never see it?

Do wild ducks even get angel wing? Just wondering. Maybe domestic breeds are more prone to it due to generations of human intervention, but I really don’t know!?!

Thank you, that's great to hear! I really loves these babies. I didn't realize rolled oats from the store would not be the same, perhaps I will go up to the farm supply and see what they have then. I'm not sure why I didn't think about that lol.

You’ll get like 50 lbs for the price of a lb at the grocery store!

X2 on the all flock. As for angel wing, it's not well understood and many things can contribute to it. Would it surprise you to know that some people feed a low protein food and see angel wing in their flock, while others feed very high protein and never see it?
That is interesting! I keep reading high protein causes it and also high carbs. I also read it can be hereditary? I am probably obsessing, I just keep thinking I need to make sure I'm responsible if I feed them lol

Back
Top Bottom