Ducklings, the odd one out.

Stipenvlerk

Crowing
May 22, 2020
The Netherlands
Hi all,

This year hatching goes well!
Growing up, with ups and downs as there are many magpies around and they are smart! šŸ˜£
So I lost a few of the ducklings who are from nature breeding (by mama duck instead of the incubator) unfortunately.
Anyway. That's not why I started my post.

One of the ducklings is different coloured than the others.
All other ducklings from this mom and dad are:
- bibbed blue
- bibbed black
And some variation of the colours above (bibbed blue with a black stripe on the back etc.)

One of the ducklings is just one colour, brownish legs with orange webs and with lighter brown eyes (instead of the darker eyes of the others) What colour could this be? Will this one be just blue with a lighter eye than the other siblings?
Thanks for watching :)

IMG_0828.JPG
IMG_0825.JPG
IMG_0826.JPG

I don't know the answer to your question, but what a beautiful baby!

When I was a kid, we had Mallards, nothing but Mallards. And, one year ONE of the babies was born yellow, and Erica remained a yellow duck for her entire life. No idea how it happened, but she was also a rare beauty.
Yeah, the same thing happened with my mallards just last year, he grew up with normal colouring, just with white around each feather.

I think it might just be a rare genetic thing

I don't know the answer to your question, but what a beautiful baby!

When I was a kid, we had Mallards, nothing but Mallards. And, one year ONE of the babies was born yellow, and Erica remained a yellow duck for her entire life. No idea how it happened, but she was also a rare beauty.
Thank you! Yes genetics is such a wonderful thing to get some knowledge on. However, really difficult too! Mother duck looks most like a mallard coloured dwergkuifeend (bantam tufted duck) and father is bibbed blue. I know the genetics of the male. The female however, since they breed them on characteristics of the crest and not the colour will likely be a mix.

So cool to get a white mallard!

Back
Top Bottom