Ducklings voice cracking? (+ bonus photo of my babies)

hannnnnah

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2023
Hi! I have four four-week old ducklings (2 pekin, 1 cayuga, and 1 swedish blue). One of my pekins was making a sort of honking (?) noise. I noticed it yesterday when they were playing in the grass, but today it seems more pronounced. It was between the little peeps, almost like a voice crack. Now it’s like full on honking. There’s absolutely no sign of sickness and he/she has been very active. I have a video, but I’m unsure how to upload here.

Also, I’ve had them for four weeks, but estimate that they’re a bit older. They seemed larger when I got them and they’ve grown incredibly quick, but I was told they were day-olds…

Attachments

• 96612667-00FC-4109-94B6-0F5E6C315AF1.png
    96612667-00FC-4109-94B6-0F5E6C315AF1.png
    6.8 MB · Views: 58
I’m sure you all know the mess duckling make, so I change their bedding every day and sanitize everything twice a week. They also receive probiotics & hydrating supplement from the farm store (can’t recall the brand, but it’s a little packet).

Hi! I have four four-week old ducklings (2 pekin, 1 cayuga, and 1 swedish blue). One of my pekins was making a sort of honking (?) noise. I noticed it yesterday when they were playing in the grass, but today it seems more pronounced. It was between the little peeps, almost like a voice crack. Now it’s like full on honking. There’s absolutely no sign of sickness and he/she has been very active. I have a video, but I’m unsure how to upload here.

Also, I’ve had them for four weeks, but estimate that they’re a bit older. They seemed larger when I got them and they’ve grown incredibly quick, but I was told they were day-olds…
if you make the video into a youtube then post the link here. i have 4 ducklings that are about 7 weeks old now and this is not my first time It does seem like voices are "cracking" sometimes I wonder if they half-way swallowed something like a pine chip maybe? what are you feeding them for food and for snacks? and are you giving them grit to help digest the snacks?

Sounds like you have a female and she’s getting her voice.

if you make the video into a youtube then post the link here. i have 4 ducklings that are about 7 weeks old now and this is not my first time It does seem like voices are "cracking" sometimes I wonder if they half-way swallowed something like a pine chip maybe? what are you feeding them for food and for snacks? and are you giving them grit to help digest the snacks?
I haven’t seen them interested in the wood chips, but they aren’t acting like they’ve swallowed something wrong. They have 16% protein, organic, & unmedicated duck feed with added nutritional yeast. I sprinkle grit into the food and have some on the ground for foraging. They’re eating mashed blueberries, cooked oats, and some lettuce (also added some grit to this mixture). It was their first time trying food other than their store bought mix. The photo was today, which was after the honking started.

I haven’t seen them interested in the wood chips, but they aren’t acting like they’ve swallowed something wrong. They have 16% protein, organic, & unmedicated duck feed with added nutritional yeast. I sprinkle grit into the food and have some on the ground for foraging. They’re eating mashed blueberries, cooked oats, and some lettuce (also added some grit to this mixture). It was their first time trying food other than their store bought mix. The photo was today, which was after the honking started.
the treats sound delicious you are making me hungry!

Back
Top Bottom