Ducks!

Arya28

Songster
Apr 9, 2017
Pennsylvania
Hi!

So today we got our first ducks! We have lots of chickens (almost 80) and we have 7 guineas, but ducks are a first to us! We got three babies. One khaki campbell, one mallard, and one of what we believe is either a Swedish blue, or a blue runner duck.

So if anyone has any information that they would like to share with first-time duck owners, it would be greatly appreciated. :D

As of right now they are in a brooder under a heat lamp, with water and organic chick starter.

I highly recommend making an elevated water station with a tray that can catch water as soon as you can! Keeping splashed water off of their bedding prevents a lot of issues with smell and very wet ducklings. If you'd like some advice on how to make one don't hesitate to ask!

Also, if you aren't already aware, ducks need to keep their nostrils clean by blowing into water and flushing them out. So as your ducklings grow they will need deeper water to accommodate them as the typical poultry waterer will not do the job correctly. You can use milk jugs or plastic food tubs with holes cut in for this. Make sure they always have access to clean water so they can do this and also swallow their food.

Also, I suggest providing niacin and brewer's yeast if your feed doesn't meet their nutritional requirements or you see any wobbly/stiff leggedness in your ducklings.

Congrats on your babies! I hope you enjoy your new ducks :hugs

Thank you both! They are the most adorable little birds. :love

Very helpful information. Very different from chickens, but we are learning!

Back
Top Bottom