Duel purpose docile duck breeds

lacychappell4

Songster
May 31, 2021
I am looking into getting ducklings . I have had ducklings / ducks before . What I am looking for is duel purpose breeds that do well with kids . I dont want rouens, mallard ,or muskovies or any breeds that fly. I would like them to be docile and not nervouse or flighty breeds . Any suggestions

I like my Cayugas. They aren't necessarily lappers, but pretty friendly for ducks. They are very food motivated, lay a good size egg almost every day during the summer months through fall.
The first couple eggs of the laying season will be black so that's always kind of fun to find. ☺️

I’ve limited experience compared to many, this is my 3 or 4th year at ducks now. My Saxony duck is a doll baby but very vocal! I don’t mind. Welsh girls both very very vocal but quite friendly. My Cayuga’s are very friendly, but a little more difficult to approach unless you have peas or meal worms.
My Pekin would sit on my lap and fall asleep. The Blue Swedish are extremely docile and almost as personable as the Pekin.
Lastly I’d say the Rouen I’ve had are wonderful layers but they took longer to build trust with however they were gotten as juvenile ducks and not hand raised. Massive eggs! Pterodactyl sized lol!
The hand raised Rouen would probably have sat on my shoulder if given the chance so I must absolutely agree raising them makes a huge difference. In smaller groups it’s easier to get more time per bird.

I think hand raising the 🔑!

Important if you want pets that can be easily handled. It’s great for pet tricks or whatever but more Importantly it makes handling the ducks easier in the event you need to deal with first aid or check flippers, boo-boo knees or move them when in harms way.

Last edited:
I’ve limited experience compared to many, this is my 3 or 4th year at ducks now. My Saxony duck is a doll baby but very vocal! I don’t mind. Welsh girls both very very vocal but quite friendly. My Cayuga’s are very friendly, but a little more difficult to approach unless you have peas or meal worms.
My Pekin would sit on my lap and fall asleep. The Blue Swedish are extremely docile and almost as personable as the Pekin.
Lastly I’d say the Rouen I’ve had are wonderful layers but they took longer to build trust with however they were gotten as juvenile ducks and not hand raised. Massive eggs! Pterodactyl sized lol!
The hand raised Rouen would probably have sat on my shoulder if given the chance so I must absolutely agree raising them makes a huge difference. In smaller groups it’s easier to get more time per bird.

I think hand raising the 🔑!

Important if you want pets that can be easily handled. It’s great for pet tricks or whatever but more Importantly it makes handling the ducks easier in the event you need to deal with first aid or check flippers, boo-boo knees or move them when in harms way.

I am looking into getting ducklings . I have had ducklings / ducks before . What I am looking for is duel purpose breeds that do well with kids . I dont want rouens, mallard ,or muskovies or any breeds that fly. I would like them to be docile and not nervouse or flighty breeds . Any suggestions
So I decided on Magpie ducklings and ordered them from Ideal poultry hatchery . It is my closest hatchery 😄

Back
Top Bottom