Dumb duck questions :)

ChickenFan

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 6, 2007
I am getting some adult ducks that are already laying.

What should I do about nesting boxes for them? My hen boxes are off the ground and I have the impression that ducks will want something closer to the ground???

I have heard ducks don't like to go backwards ?? so that the box needs to be big enough for them to turnaround and settle without stepping back. is this true?

Also, anything I should know about ducks and chickens living together? I have about 30 hens w/ 2 roosters. Varying ages and sizes.

And finally, are ducks completely vegetarian or are they omniverous like chickens. My chickens will eat any dang thing
smile.png

Thanks!

Ducks need nest boxes on the ground.

They do like bigger nest boxes but I have seen some nest in a chicken size box.

Ducks like greens and grains. Beware of seeds like sunflower in the shell as it can give them digestive problems. Ducks will eat bugs just like chickens.

They also need deep waterers so they can get their whole bill in it.

Be prepared to do A LOT more coop maintanence with ducks. Everything in site will be wet or damp.

The one thing I'd like to add is that ducks are deffinately NOT vedgetarians! I've seen mine gobble down mice, toads, huge bugs, hotdog pieces (I intended them for my chickens!), etc. They poop ALOT more than chickens, so if you house them with or near your chicken coop, you will be making alot more work for yourself in the long run. You can not do a deep litter method with ducks! Their pen/coop will need to be cleaned daily. They get everything soggy and wet, in addition to their ginormous poops. Water never stays full because they play in it, splash in it, even blow bubbles in it and get it all over the place.
roll.png
My suggestion for people with ducks and chickens is always to give the ducks a seperate area of their own. Its healthier for the chickens also to not have a constantly wet environment. Ducks are super hardy and can handle most things without becoming sick, but our chickens can not fight off alot of the things that can grow in a warm, moist bedding environment and could get sick.

Back
Top Bottom