Dwarfism?long-term effects?

sekeyslaks

Crowing
9 Years
Jun 25, 2014
Hi all I would like to ask a question regarding my 5 month old mixed pullet Pidove!As a chick she grew up normally sized and is very healthy but once she hit the height she is now she didn’t grow any bigger! So I am wondering if she has dwarfism being so small?will she be okay with my larger roosters? And will she have health issues down the line or produce more dwarfs? I ask only for her welfare and my peace of mind.This is Pidove singly and with her siblings for comparison.
0A5ADC99-2243-47CD-9627-DB757676767C.jpeg
301B02E7-1AE2-4B71-BDE1-4FBC88FF86C2.jpeg

Comparison isn't that great. Try having everyone standing next to each other?

I have a soon to be 17 week old Orpington pullet who is no bigger then a bantam.

Bantams are the result of a form of Sex linked Dwarfism.

Comparison isn't that great. Try having everyone standing next to each other?

I have a soon to be 17 week old Orpington pullet who is no bigger then a bantam.

Bantams are the result of a form of Sex linked Dwarfism.
Sorry about that it was the only recent picture I had of them together,since it’s storming now I will get y’all a much better picture tomorrow! :)

She doesn’t have dwarfism. Birds come in many shapes and sizes. The fox, though small, is no less hearty than the wolf. Many small dog breeds actually live longer than big ones. Bantams and small chickens are small very naturally, their genetics though doubtless some have the dwarfism gene.
Pretty hen, looks like you take care of her.

Hi all I would like to ask a question regarding my 5 month old mixed pullet Pidove!As a chick she grew up normally sized and is very healthy but once she hit the height she is now she didn’t grow any bigger! So I am wondering if she has dwarfism being so small?will she be okay with my larger roosters? And will she have health issues down the line or produce more dwarfs? I ask only for her welfare and my peace of mind.This is Pidove singly and with her siblings for comparison.View attachment 2833511View attachment 2833512
Is she a bantams mix, is she a winter chick.
I’ve read in one of my bantam breeding books that chickens and bantams tend to be smaller if hatched during or close to the cold months. It dwarfs them. She should be just fine, I don’t think it’s genetic.

Is she a bantams mix, is she a winter chick.
I’ve read in one of my bantam breeding books that chickens and bantams tend to be smaller if hatched during or close to the cold months. It dwarfs them. She should be just fine, I don’t think it’s genetic.
Dwarfing isn't caused by being hatched during the cold months. If that were the case, my fall hatches of years back would all be dwarfed.

Dwarfing isn't caused by being hatched during the cold months. If that were the case, my fall hatches of years back would all be dwarfed.
Ok I guess it’s not really dwarfing it more like making them smaller. They don’t grow as fast as the do in the spring or summer so it causes them to be smaller when they are grown. First I thought this was silly, then I had it happen to 3 of my hens I kept back that hatched in the winter months.

Ok I guess it’s not really dwarfing it more like making them smaller. They don’t grow as fast as the do in the spring or summer so it causes them to be smaller when they are grown. First I thought this was silly, then I had it happen to 3 of my hens I kept back that hatched in the winter months.
Two of My Heritage Plymouth Barred Rocks are fall babies, are were Giants. They hatched on the 28th of September. They were the size of 6 weeks olds at the age of 3½ weeks.

My Heritage Plymouth Barred Rock rooster.
20210909_142900.jpg
20210909_143036.jpg
20210909_143006.jpg
Bigger, & heavier then the Orpingtons. They were introduced into the mixed flock coop during the winter.

Back
Top Bottom