Easter Egger gender confusion

Junebuggena, and other experts, please weigh in.
I've raised Ameraucana and Easter Eggers. I did a last ditch hatch after I sold my "splash Ameraucana" roo. I know these are all Easter Eggers. That throws off my ability to identify genders. Rooster red shoulders always mean boys, right? I thought it was genetically impossible to get pullets with rooster red shoulder feathers. However, a couple of these splash chicks at 3 months old are small and pullet-like. View attachment 1543546
For the first pic you sent. The three chickens furthest back look like roos to me. They are big and have pointed neck feathers and the lightest colored one has clearly long saddle feathers. If they have large feet and thick legs they are likely roos.

The three in the front, however, look like hens. They are small with rounded neck feathers and they look to have smaller combs and waddles.

I can't see the others clearly enough to be able to tell.

Last edited:
The lightest red shoulders, and the black one.
20180925_131842.jpg
20180925_131835.jpg
20180925_132344.jpg

I hatched 15 chicks. They are 3 months old. I separated these 8 thinking they're cockerels. I have 2 of the other 7 that also appear to be cockerels. I'm double checking because a cockerel hatch rate of 10/15 seems high, but also we aren't keeping 8 extra cockerels through winter- hence the separation.

Thank you, all!!!!

I hatched 15 chicks. They are 3 months old. I separated these 8 thinking they're cockerels. I have 2 of the other 7 that also appear to be cockerels. I'm double checking because a cockerel hatch rate of 10/15 seems high, but also we aren't keeping 8 extra cockerels through winter- hence the separation.

Thank you, all!!!!

The light colored chicken to the right in the bottom photo looks a little small to be a rooster. Does it have big feet or long pointed saddle feathers?

The dark one at the front of the bottom pic has very rooster like posture. Roosters usually walk with their chests puffed out and they like to stand tall. They also (from my experience) will usually have deeper voices. Hens walk closer to the ground and have the typical chicken voice.

The light colored chicken to the right in the bottom photo looks a little small to be a rooster. Does it have big feet or long pointed saddle feathers?

The dark one at the front of the bottom pic has very rooster like posture. Roosters usually walk with their chests puffed out and they like to stand tall. They also (from my experience) will usually have deeper voices. Hens walk closer to the ground and have the typical chicken voice.
It has rooster red coloring on the shoulders. It's smaller than the others. It may just be lowest in the pecking order because other splash look just like that one. The only splash that doesn't have rooster red feather coloring is giant compared to the rest. The same for the black chick. It is giant.

If there's a chance that either of these 2 are girls, will feeding them meatbird feed for a short time hurt them? I can't imagine it would, but the way my 2 coops are set up doesn't allow me to feed different foods within the coops.

Back
Top Bottom