Easter Egger Gender Guess

m2wandc

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 19, 2009
What are your thoughts? Is this white & black EE a Pullet or cockerel? I’m guessing roo….but the store said the EEs are all hens 🤣 I will keep either way…but would love your thoughts.

What would you call that coloring?

Attachments

• IMG_0590.jpeg
    IMG_0590.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0589.jpeg
    IMG_0589.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0588.jpeg
    IMG_0588.jpeg
    467.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0587.jpeg
    IMG_0587.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0586.jpeg
    IMG_0586.jpeg
    401.7 KB · Views: 20
Looks like a cockerel/roo! I'm rusty on chicken genetics, and Easter Eggers have a wild mixed bag of genetics, but in just casual conversation it wouldn't be wildly incorrect to say "Columbian" colored, as it's similar in it's expression! As far as like plugging him into a genetics calculator, being an easter egger and all, that'd be more tricky haha

I’m hoping it’s a pullet but I’m guessing it’s a cockerel.

I’ll keep him as a rooster - it just means I’ll have to make sure he gets his own flock of hens (must get more babies) 😂

Roasters (pun intended) only get to stay off the dinner plate if they are nice and good looking. 😂

Still really hoping it’s a girlie girl. But I have two more White/black Easter Egger chicks growing up now.

You don’t say how old he is, but that big pink comb and the flashy pattern on the wings say cockerel to me. (That I circled in red.)

Pullets would have a more uniform even pattern to the markings on their wings.

Another thing to look for is saddle feathers. If you can pick him up and look closely, see if the feathers on the back just before the tail area are coming in with rounded edges or if they are long and thin with pointy edges. To me, the saddle feathers seem to be the sign that takes the longest to come in. But once they do, then you have your answer.

But this one is a boy as the others have already said.
761D69B1-D3CB-4B95-BFBD-A7BAE11E077C.jpeg

One thing I noticed this bird do that I’ve never seen from any other hen or rooster is lift a distinct section of his back/tail end feathers (think peacock) but it wasn’t all of the back end feathers just a very distinct section of the back end feathers. (Think peacock mixed with the fur on an angry dog standing up)

It was odd

Oh well - I was hoping girl but if it’s a rooster I have room for one more rooster but no more after that. 🍽️

Back
Top Bottom