Easter Eggers from Meyer Hatchery?

chickenpooplady

Songster
8 Years
Jan 16, 2012
Ohio
My Coop
My Coop
Ever since I heard about EEs and their colorful eggs I have been wanting to get some. I am hoping to buy a few through Meyer this spring. Has anyone ever bought EEs from Meyer? How are their temperaments and laying?

Thanks

I bought mine from mypetchicken who I believe drop ships through Meyer. My girls are curious, calm and lay nice light green eggs. I only have two substantial notes.

One died at about 18 months of age from a reproductive tumor. Thing got so big it stopped her digestive system from functioning.

And second is that my two remaining girls have two molts a year for which they stop laying. One in mid spring that lasts a week or two. The second one is just before winter hits and that one can last for months. I haven't seen an egg from them since mid October.

And second is that my two remaining girls have two molts a year for which they stop laying. One in mid spring that lasts a week or two. The second one is just before winter hits and that one can last for months. I haven't seen an egg from them since mid October.
Is this common with all chickens? Or are some breeds just more prone to greater time lapses of eggs when molting?

EEs in general have a reputation for random starts and stops in laying. Some are worse than others, but overall my girls only miss out on a month more than my other ladies did. That two week mini molt that the others didn't have plus stopping 3 or 4 weeks before the others in winter. But I am guessing this means they will keep laying longer into their lives. They are only 3 years old though so the jury is still out on that one.

When they are on the ball though I usually get 5 eggs a week each.

And hens for the most part are only lay until 3-4 yeas of age anyway correct? We can extend their laying period into winter with heat lamps in the coop too right?

I have a 6 year old EE going to be 7 in July. Though she doesn't lay much now, every once in a while she will eek out a blue egg for a couple weeks straight, then stop for a month or so, then start up again. Very inconsistent but for a 6 year old it is truly amazing she still lays at all!

I have an EE from Meyer, is less than 2 years old and hasn't laid an egg for over 20 weeks now. She's has a sassy personality and likes to talk back, but over all she's a clever little hen. She laid the green egg on the right.

Back
Top Bottom