Eating eggs after dusting for mites/lice

johnsmb

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 16, 2007
Cathlamet, WA
I got a garden/animal insect dust at the feed store. Is there any withdrawal time, or can you eat the eggs? The feed store didn't know, the can doesn't mention it and I've never heard anyone mention it before... Also, do you have to keep repeating the applications - when, and for how long? I dusted them maybe 2 months ago, and it didn't seem to help a bit. 2 hens have bare, red rumps and the other 3 hens look ok. Thanks.

Do other people eat the eggs after the chickens have been dusted for mites/lice? How frequently should I be dusting?

Dusting is a superficial treatment for pests, so it shouldn't contaminate the inside of the eggs, just make sure you wash the shells.

Number of treatments will depend on what pest you're dealing with.

Lice are white or cream in color and live on the bird, they feed on the feather shafts and loose skin cells. A series of two or three dustings about a week apart should work for them.

Mites on the other hand are small dark brown or reddish bugs that actually feed on the blood of the chickens they can live off the bird sometimes for weeks, so if you have mites, you need to clean your whole coop and roosts and either use a dust or another product all over the coop and on the birds to get rid of them. Believe me they are a serious problem, they can weaken or kill a bird.

So I guess the first step for you is to go out at night with a flashlight and take a look at the rear end feathers of your birds to see what pest you're dealing with, then you can decide what to do from there.

Good Luck! Let us know what you find
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom