EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

Wow, can't remember what I wanted to say now. :barnie

I love ducks. I'd love them even MORE IF they were at someone else's place. :D

:woot

What IS the point of a biscuit. I never understand the biscuit. I like a good bun. What's the biscuit for. Maybe...I've ever had a "good" biscuit.:confused:

Biscuit with delicious sausage gravy.

iu.jpeg

and just yum! :drool
iu-1.jpeg

Good plan. Just remember to GO SLOW and then go slower. Soon as they can breathe you can slow down even more. :fl
Whelp, chick didn't make it. I placed 1 small hole, dampened membrane and placed back in the incubator. I came back in an hour and it had died. I went ahead and opened other remaining eggs, all gone as thought.

Still 7/10 For first hatch of regular eggs is ok and I'll learn more each time. I had a power outage due to a storm for less than 5 minutes. It may have affected the incubator count of day # which means they did not get the increase in humidity and stop turning when they should have. This may also explain why I thought they were early when some were pipping when I placed on lockdown.

The Seramas had less success, but I've read that is true for even experienced hatchers let alone shipped eggs combined with first hatch. They were 3/7 fertile eggs hatched.

Whelp, chick didn't make it. I placed 1 small hole, dampened membrane and placed back in the incubator. I came back in an hour and it had died. I went ahead and opened other remaining eggs, all gone as thought.

Still 7/10 For first hatch of regular eggs is ok and I'll learn more each time. I had a power outage due to a storm for less than 5 minutes. It may have affected the incubator count of day # which means they did not get the increase in humidity and stop turning when they should have. This may also explain why I thought they were early when some were pipping when I placed on lockdown.

The Seramas had less success, but I've read that is true for even experienced hatchers let alone shipped eggs combined with first hatch. They were 3/7 fertile eggs hatched.
:hugs

Congratulations getting through your first hatch!

The high humidity is miserable in summer but also causes more frostbite in winter.

I never touch a broody hen. You'll eventually know how many chicks you have and you won't disturb her good work.

Very nice pics

And still complaining about the poor functionality.

I've had both white and black leghorns go broody often. One just never knows.

That's simply awful.:hit
I hope you find the culprit.
And see...I lift all the broody hens 2-4 times to collect the eating eggs ...lol.
I also go by what the hens do. Last year I had a buff Silkie get off her nest of hatching guinea eggs and go eating for about an hour. They all hatched fine. I lift the broody hens at will whether they're setting on eggs or not. Chewbacca got lifted multiple times throughout her set. I candled. She got checked 3 times on hatching day alone...lol. I still get chicks regardless.

I gave some of Chewbacca's chicks to the buff silkie to stop the buff from brooding. I moved the chicks and Chewbacca to the front section with the buff because we made an impromptu trip for grain samples etc yesterday. (Her nest was high up in the back pen) Not what I wanted to do so abruptly, but all the chicks were alive and well this morning when I snapped this photo...lol.
(I just bedded fresh bedding yesterday for them.) :barnie

20170810_095957.jpg

Back
Top Bottom