EE colouring / plumage - chicks vs/ adults --- Post your PICS!

Pics
ok this is an interesting thread to keep a journal
but im going to start with the parents as we bred this one ourselves,

this in mum, im assuming shes an orpington, shes one of the biggest birds and biggest egg layers and biggest eggs, dad is a french standard araucana

she was our 1st hatch, with a broody who was only laying for 2 months, at 6 days they were already out in the garden
photo 1 us the full hatch, we originally set out with 5 eggs but somehow ended with 7, 5 hatched day 1 and one a day later, the last hatched on day 4 but the other 6 were already feeding and running in the coop and the late one died in the nest from an injury i think from being walked on as foster mum was in and out the nest teaching the others. the back 3 and the black are siblings and our purest araucanas, the one with markings in the front is from a suspected araucana cross

front to back, 1 day old has a small black spot above/behind each wing,,,,,,, could be rumpless

8 days old

2 weeks old, not being very cooperative today,
still see whats left of the black spot under the wing. still no tail.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever had an EE with coloring like a golden laced wyandotte? We bought two EE chicks back in March and 1 looks like your standard EE with slate legs, etc. The other one looks like a GLW now. Wondering if someone pulled a fast one on us. Guess we won't know for sure until they start laying (hopefully in a few weeks). :)

All of these chicks have the same dad, a blue splash Ameraucana.

chipmunk chick at lower right 17 weeks

silver chipmunk chick at upper right 18 weeks

chipmunk chick at upper left 18 weeks

gray chick with the yellow dot on the head. 17 weeks

light yellow chick (he has barred hackle and saddle feathers too)
17 weeks

wow. So pretty!
I am getting 3 EE chicks next week.
I love this thread....

sorry guys my ability to edit my posts has gone for some reason, heres a continuation
what we have started to call our orpaucana EE at 4 weeks, no buff colour as with other orpington's of a younger age and as of yet totally unmarked i would also say it is bigger than its half siblings

with foster mum and siblings, mum moved into a top nest box yesterday and the chicks played on the perches but bedded down with mum,.
i think she has abandoned the nursery underneath

5 weeks old
when she was born she had a black spot in her fluff above the wings, this became less prominant as she feathered,
but as she has feathered more, it seems this spot has resurfaced (not seen in these images), i have started calling her "Billy Bones"
what started to look like the same comb as its araucana half sisters, now is starting to look different. either an orpington comb or maybe male

6 weeks old do i detect an actual feather on the right cheek (left side) could that be an actual tuft coming and not a muff, i guess time will tell
ive been chasing it for 3 days trying to get a decent front on shot to see whats growing there.

My first EE was named Selena. Unfortunately She died the winter after we got her.

Rosemary

Thyme

Ursa- Her chick pictures just don't convey how fluffy and round she was.

Dewy: She's the white chick. The person at the feed store we got her at didn't believe she was an EE because she wasn't squirrely. So they labeled her as the other kind of chicken they had in: a black sex-link.
idunno.gif
We knew what she was though.

Last edited:
@chickencraz Nice pics! It's so amazing how much those little chipmunks change. Hmmmm. A pure white BLACK sex link, huh? I think perhaps that sales rep better study up. (Unless I'm missing something.)

Back
Top Bottom