EE Pullet not Feeling Well

Pics

JacinLarkwell

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
It's currently cold here, and it was really cold and windy and snowy yesterday. I really don't remember if I saw her running around yesterday morning, but know she was the day before. Last night she wasn't looking so hot, but I figured she was just mad I opened the door.

Today she's puffed and shes not really wanting to open her eyes. She did eat a little bit last night but agaib, it was bedtime.

She's about 4.5 months old, unvaccinated for Mareks and Coccidiosis (sp?).

I moved her to under a heat source just because I was nervous she wouldn't last much longer outside how she was. No other bird in the group is showing any symptoms and she's been the picture of health until now.

I'll get pics when I go back outside.

She still is shivering a bit, but I have no where warmer to put her. Under the lamp is warmer by far than our house is. I know it's stupid to do that because now she's not going to be used to the cold, but at this point I'll figure it out later when she's better.
20211216_100851.jpg
20211216_100834.jpg
20211216_100818.jpg

It's currently cold here, and it was really cold and windy and snowy yesterday. I really don't remember if I saw her running around yesterday morning, but know she was the day before. Last night she wasn't looking so hot, but I figured she was just mad I opened the door.

Today she's puffed and shes not really wanting to open her eyes. She did eat a little bit last night but agaib, it was bedtime.

She's about 4.5 months old, unvaccinated for Mareks and Coccidiosis (sp?).

I moved her to under a heat source just because I was nervous she wouldn't last much longer outside how she was. No other bird in the group is showing any symptoms and she's been the picture of health until now.

I'll get pics when I go back outside.
Also get poop pictures along with her pictures. @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock

Also get poop pictures along with her pictures. @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock
I will If she poops. It's impossible to tell what might have been here in the coop unfortunately.

Should note that this is where my silkies (which are currently now still in the basement) were yesterday, so the poop in her pictures isn't from her

The treatment for hypothermia is similar to treating for shock. Give her warm Gatoraid to drink. If she isn't able to drink on her own, syringe a couple milliliters at a time into her crop each hour all day long in addition to providing heat. To hasten the rewarming, use a warm blow dryer on her wing pits and breast area. You can also wrap her in a towel warmed in the dryer. But elevating her glucose is the single most important step.

The treatment for hypothermia is similar to treating for shock. Give her warm Gatoraid to drink. If she isn't able to drink on her own, syringe a couple milliliters at a time into her crop each hour all day long in addition to providing heat. To hasten the rewarming, use a warm blow dryer on her wing pits and breast area. You can also wrap her in a towel warmed in the dryer. But elevating her glucose is the single most important step.
And human Gatorade is safe? What about thisV would it be better?
1639678374716-768941196.jpg
1639678418297-1107595610.jpg

That's good as well as long as you add sugar to it. Gatoraid is convenient since it has the sugars necessary to elevate the glucose levels. It's perfectly safe for chickens, not just every day, just as you wouldn't want to drink it for all occasions, either.
She drank some willingly with a spoon!

Back
Top Bottom