EE Roo's

moodlymoo

Songster
8 Years
Aug 23, 2011
Portland OR
I discovered my cute little EE chicks have grown into BOYS
barnie.gif
and now I am wondering when they may crow? they are about 12ish weeks I think maybe a little more. They scuffle with each other all the time and one even jumped one of my girls who is like a gazillion times his size. I am not supposed to have roos in the city so i am just hoping they keep it quiet

My EE boy started crowing at 14 weeks and I think that's pretty typical but if you search the boards for the age roosters begin to crow, you'll find that they can start anytime from just a couple of weeks old to 6 months (or rarely, even later).

I am not sure it's breed specific. We have 4 roos - 3 of them (including an EE) all crowed within the first 5 months. On the other hand, the 4th roo didn't crow until he was around 30 weeks. We were all shocked to hear him, thinking he had given up trying.

Well, they are both still peeping so who knows. Im keeping my fingers crossed for a 30weeker lol. Can they mate if they are not crowing? I have been told the crow doesn't happen until sexually mature. Im sure that is a stupid question.

Quote:
My guy started mounting the bigger pullets about the same time he started announcing his presence. However, my mom's late-crower was loving on the girls long before he crowed. So, I'm not so sure it's connected as much as it usually happens around the same time.

Back
Top Bottom