Egg-bound ...do they survive? - please tell me YES THEY CAN!!

Thank you birdlover and vfem! - I did wonder about the garlic! If we can smell it, surely the chicks can too?! She looked at me as if to say "whatever!" when I cheerfully presented the bowl with little slices of garlic on the bottom. Apparently the oil is good for them?

Anyway, since last post my OH (getting into the abreviations thing here) has fed her scrambled eggs and she apparently gobbled it up.

He reported that she's been resting a lot today and could be going for a second egg.

We're REALLY worried about how this might go. Anyone experienced "the-second-egg-after-egg-bound-first-egg" fear?

Will try all suggestions, many thanks.

I believe I've read that birds can't smell.
big_smile.png
If you can get some organic apple cider vinegar with the "mother" in it (the cloudy, weird stuff on the bottom), put a teaspoon of that in her bowl of water as well. Can't remember the exact proportions but I think that'll do if you are using something small like a dish to drink out of. That is also supposed to help their immune system. I think I used to put 2 Tablespoons in a gallon of water. Also, if you feed her scrambled eggs again, you can bake or microwave the shells to dry them out, crush them and mix them with the scrambled eggs. It's a way of getting calcium in her and lots of people on here do that. Still
fl.gif

Thanks birdlover - I will have to do some chicken senses research, I think! I have apple cider vinegar in the cupboard but it's not organic so I'll look out for some when next at the shops!

We've done exactly what you suggested with the scrambled eggs and egg shell - she's eating away at it I'm pleased to say. Although, I think she's getting a bit fed up of me offering her all of my new-founded food ideas! Today was the apple sauce - which I loved! Betty wasn't too fussed.

However, I am pleased to say that she's now taken to jumping out of her box and wondering about the utility room. I guess she's maybe getting a bit bored being away from her chums. We check on her often though, so I hope she's not hating being inside!

We're unsure when to give her the all clear and "discharge" her? And I think I'll have a scout around the forums for reintroducing a bird once she's been apart for a few days.

What do you guys think?

I have a hen who is sick. I noticed about three weeks ago she was not aggressively eating like before. I thought it was a phase or changing of the pecking order. She started going to bed way earlier than the others. About a week and a half ago she was walking like a penguin. I soaked her in warm water for about a half an hours. She was molting but her abdomen was swollen. I made a sick bay in a warm area with fresh bedding. She would not eat or drink on her own but would take food from my hands. When she was done she'd turn her back to me. I've kept her safe and warm for almost two weeks. She does poop but not site of eggs and there is not any nasty smells.

I want to keep her comfortable but am wondering how long this will last? I decided to put her out with the other 4. They are curious of her crate (sick bay) but are not bothering her. She is pecking and waddling around but clearly still a sick bird. I wish nature would take it's course and either let her get better or let the end happen.

Anybody else going through this?

Got the same thing happening with one of my Isa Brown ladies. Checked to see if she was egg bound and tried a few things but she's seriously off at the moment and sits by herself or moves slowly (until I try and grab her!)

Been nearly two weeks now and hasn't really
Improved

Back
Top Bottom