Egg bound hen- struggling to both breathe and pass egg

TookieBird

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2016
Hi, I have a production red, age 3 or 4, who I'm pretty confident is eggbound. Ive had this before with her several times 2/3 years ago which she passed shortly after soaking her in basin of warm water.
Today however this method seems to have not worked despite having soaked for nearly 40 mins. She was dryed by fire Place but only passed extremely runny yellow poop. She had a short interest in some soggy cheerios but spent the next hour panting heavily while standin. She is in coop now with 3 other birds, partially laying on side and seems to be struggling to breathe. I noticed while bathing her that her abdomen was extremely firm and tight, and there was an angry red patch of skin below her vent.
Is there anything else I can do to help her pass the egg? Vet isn't currently an option as we currently have no access.
Please reply asap

Hi, I have a production red, age 3 or 4, who I'm pretty confident is eggbound. Ive had this before with her several times 2/3 years ago which she passed shortly after soaking her in basin of warm water.
Today however this method seems to have not worked despite having soaked for nearly 40 mins. She was dryed by fire Place but only passed extremely runny yellow poop. She had a short interest in some soggy cheerios but spent the next hour panting heavily while standin. She is in coop now with 3 other birds, partially laying on side and seems to be struggling to breathe. I noticed while bathing her that her abdomen was extremely firm and tight, and there was an angry red patch of skin below her vent.
Is there anything else I can do to help her pass the egg? Vet isn't currently an option as we currently have no access.
Please reply asap
I have had eggbound hens, and my parrot. She sounds like she is internally laying, the egg is not getting a shell. The egg is in the abdominal cavity, making it swollen and hard. This is fatal, she is an old bird for her kind, it might be kindest to end her misery. A quick death would be better than a slow, painful end.

Back
Top Bottom