Egg bound? Swollen abdomen, straining...

SeramaStar

In the Brooder
May 7, 2024
Hello,

I have a polish hen who is 10 years of age, today I picked her up and felt that her abdomen was very swollen. She was acting normally before this, eating and drinking. I think picking her up was uncomfortable for her, when I put her down I noticed she was starting to prolapse.
I assumed she was egg bound so I put her in warm water with epsom salts. The prolapse went back in but she didn't lay any eggs. An hour later I've seen she has a larger prolapse, (larger than the photo attached). We went to the vets with her but the prolapse had gone back in and she seemed normal, other than the liquidy-feeling swelling to the abdomen. They thought peritonitis or being egg-bound. They gave her antibiotics and pain relief and said to monitor. I've come home with her and she prolapsed again.
I just wanted to ask about other people's experiences before I make any decisions. Is there anything else I can do? With her being an older hen does this affect things and should I consider euthanasia? I don't want her to suffer. She is still eating and drinking but when she starts straining she sounds distressed and looks in pain.

Thank you for any help and advice.

f5wHKzv.jpeg

YOUw23F.jpeg

Last edited:
Just to add - I'm not sure if it makes a difference but she has been on her own for 2 months now since her last friend had to be put to sleep. As I can't get more hens, I had a new home lined up for her early next month - (which won't happen now obviously unless she can be helped)...
She seemed fine but perhaps she has been lonely, and possibly stressed because of that.
She also crows and struts around like a cockerel, I've read about hens doing this when there is no actual cockerel. She lays very small eggs which don't have yolks, but irregularly.
I'm not sure if any of this is relevant but I thought I'd mention it.

I'm so sorry! She lasted 10 years which is on the rarer side, but most likely in part to the good care you gave her.

Honey, sugar, and a little water mixture making a paste to put on there can help shrink it.

She might be trying to pass an egg that's the cause of her pain and the prolapsing. A whole human calcium pill, preferably with D can give her contractions to help her pass it. You need to give her the whole thing and best if you can just pop it in her mouth.

I'm so sorry! She lasted 10 years which is on the rarer side, but most likely in part to the good care you gave her.

Honey, sugar, and a little water mixture making a paste to put on there can help shrink it.

She might be trying to pass an egg that's the cause of her pain and the prolapsing. A whole human calcium pill, preferably with D can give her contractions to help her pass it. You need to give her the whole thing and best if you can just pop it in her mouth.
Hello, thank you for your reply.
The prolapse got worse and she became quite sad and quiet. We couldn't get the prolapse back inside and my vet said because of her age - he recommended euthanasia.
I've just seen some old photos of her back from 2012 so she was older than I said.
I think it was the right thing to do, but very sad of course.

Back
Top Bottom