Egg hatching disaster! 2 eggs 8-6d younger than the first hatched chick, Leading to a whole episode of mistakes and misunderstandings

noahriisjuul

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2020
DISCLAIMER: i am not fully aware of what happened around the start but i know more about it at the current time.

Ok, so the story begins somewhere around april 5th.
Momma hen (proud mother of 4 generations) decides that she needs to raise chicks again. There were 3 eggs under her.
So you would think, "okay so, professional momma hen, 3 eggs, what could possibly go wrong!" we'll get to that later.
ok so, fast forward like 21-23d, and BAM baby chick. So another 2 days go by, and the other 2 eggs still havent hatched.
And on the 3rd day momma hen does not want to sit on her eggs anymore, she wants to raise her chick who has aged 3 days already!
So she jumps off and relocates herself outside the little hut she situated herself in to begin with.
We luckily get to the eggs in time and i do the water test(warm water ofc), and both of the eggs are at just the right point of sinkage.
so then i put them in a little homemade incubator (bowl with lid and some old newspaper on a radiator) i keep checking it every now and then.
BUT then!!1=!1 i get the so super great and intelligent idea of making a little air hole. Sounds ok since i thought atm that it was about 23days old.
it was going fine until i get the bright idea to just,,, make the hole bigger.. And then thankfully i hit a little blood vein(i know but i didnt know then), which made me stop.
so i put some tape on and put it back in the "incubator". So night comes and we put the egg under momma again.
The next day she had hopped off again. :/

I Decided to get a closer look on the chick today and i partly peeled off the tape that had been doing quite a good job actually. And i find out that its b l i n k i n g.
i thought it was kinda spooky movie'ish at the time so i called in my mom to look with me but i still didnt see much. So i didnt get a very good look.

(mini resume when i first looked at it i thought it didnt have any feathers developed, and thats what sort of shocked me. i only got my closer look after i had read this page on this forums page)
I went out for another look and to replace the current tape. I made a little tape + to put on before removing the old tape. Then i removed the old tape and i tried putting on coconut oil around the opening which ultimately just made it harder to apply the new tape and loosing more humidity. (i thought it would help with humidity)
I had some a dry piece of paper napkin roll next to me which i used to remove the coconut oil with, and tadaa i did it. Now i did also get a closer look this time.
And it was actually sleeping this time! :D and i also noticed this thing you call internal pipping!! it had broken through the aircell huzaaa.
But maybe it was me who did that since i did injure it when i opened it. but it couldnt have been because only blood came out and no wall was broken. orrr-- eh you get the point. And i do believe that its age is around day 15-17. Source

Sooo here we are the other egg i have not touched, it might be dead since it got alot colder than the other one, but we will see.
little thing i forgot to add, i do spray the "incubator" with a little water here and there.
And i check the eggs temperatures every time i get this stinging signal in my brain to do so (every 5-8min)

Phew another one of my "mega posts" i do here and there, platform to platform.

Back
Top Bottom