Egg profits!

BYCforlife

Crossing the Road
7 Years
Mar 18, 2017
Canada
I was doing some figuring to see how much I actually make per day by selling eggs. Here's what I got.

I have 40 hens, which means I'll most likely get 30-35 eggs a day. So let's say I'll get an average of 33 eggs a day.
That's $8.25 a day if I'm charging $3.00/dozen.

Now, a chicken eats 1/4 to 1/3 of a pound of feed a day. I'll figure it out at 5/16 of a pound. An average bag of feed costs $13.00. that means it would take one chicken 160 days to go through one bag. Now, I'll divide 160 by the amount of hens I have.

That means It takes exactly 4 days for my chickens to go through a bag of feed. Divide the cost per bag by how many days it takes for your chickens to finish it.

That's about $3.30 per day for me.
I'll subtract that from my daily profit, and I'll get about $5.00 a day. That's $1825 in a year!

Of course, you have to figure out the cost before they started laying.
$4.00/chick equals $160.
I really don't feel like calculating how much a chicken eats before it starts laying, but I'd guess it would add up to about 5 dollars of feed per chicken.
$5.00 per chicken equals $200.

For paying for your coop, run, feeders, waterers, etc., the general rule is 10% per year.
Subtract the day old cost, the cost of feed before laying, 10% of your coop cost. Since my coop cost $200, (I only replaced the roof) That's $20.

So, my profits for the first year of owning chickens will be $1445!

Not bad for a hobby, I'd say.

For paying for your coop, run, feeders, waterers, etc., the general rule is 10% per year.
Subtract the day old cost, the cost of feed before laying, 10% of your coop cost. Since my coop cost $200, (I only replaced the roof) That's $20.
Can you elaborate? Does the 10% include meds, shavings, cleaning materials? And what are you subtracting that from?
BTW, you were very lucky with the coop! (I think for most that costs more than could be earned in a decade, unless there are lots of birds :hmm)

Can you elaborate? Does the 10% include meds, shavings, cleaning materials? And what are you subtracting that from?
BTW, you were very lucky with the coop! (I think for most that costs more than could be earned in a decade, unless there are lots of birds :hmm)
I didn't think of shavings, but the full cost of consumables should be included, since paying for 10% a year would never pay for it.

What about molt and winter? Is the drop in production during these times figured in to the calculations? ... just something to consider in case you’ve not thought about those aspects.
I did think about that. I hear a chicken lays about 300 eggs a year, which adds up to about 32 eggs a day for my 40 chickens. Unless I'm mistaken. :D

Not bad at all for a hobby, my hobbies generally don't give a return other than the joy of doing it.

Farm fresh eggs are only $3 a dozen? I guess price is region specific but that's a bargain around here.
Yup, here they are! My neighbor sells hers for $2.50 a dozen. Nobody here appreciates the fact that they get fresh grass and compost.

:eek: Fresh eggs are $5/doz here, then again we pay way more for feed & supplies:hit Agree with Timothy Menezes it's a hobby that doesn't pay but the joy is priceless .... Pets with Benefits :love
Wow! I have never seen those prices. The most expensive here is $4.00 a dozen for organic eggs.

Back
Top Bottom