Egg Roll-Out Nesting Box. Egg Catcher, Egg Trap, Egg Eating.

sunnysideup123

In the Brooder
Sep 1, 2015
Athens, GA
I work 2.5 hours away so I'm not home everyday to collect eggs and have been contemplating on what to do so I have decided to
construct a roll out nest box. I haven't found any great designs/plans, if you have a roll out nest box can you post your pictures. So far I have taken what I have seen online and will be tailoring to what I need. I'll post the pictures of the constructions real soon.

The first two pictures are ones I got off facebook from "Get Cracking Free Range Eggs".
https://www.facebook.com/GetCrackingFreeRangeEggs?fref=ts

This concept is ideal for someone who doesnt have time to dedicated to collecting eggs on a regular basis or has a egg eating hen problem.

The next two pictures are ones I found off BYC, to date this is the best concept I have seen on BYC. Not ideal to what I want but it sends a light bulb to what I aim to build.

Last edited:
The first setup is obviously for a large production chicken farm with maybe 50 or more chickens. (minimum. ) The second set of pictures is for a small coop with a dozen chickens or so.
How many chickens do you have ??? and is a system like this necessary for your needs ??? Do your chickens regularly crack their eggs, or eat them ??? I found that chickens go into a nest and lay where there are existing eggs and with no problems of cracking those already there. My nest boxes are lined generously with hay, so things are soft for the girls.
WISHING YOU BEST
thumbsup.gif

The first setup is obviously for a large production chicken farm with maybe 50 or more chickens. (minimum. ) The second set of pictures is for a small coop with a dozen chickens or so.
How many chickens do you have ??? and is a system like this necessary for your needs ??? Do your chickens regularly crack their eggs, or eat them ??? I found that chickens go into a nest and lay where there are existing eggs and with no problems of cracking those already there. My nest boxes are lined generously with hay, so things are soft for the girls.
WISHING YOU BEST
thumbsup.gif
x2

I currently have 22 hens with 41 on the way. I dont have a egg eating problem but I dont want to wait until I do. You're correct on the first two pictures, they're from a egg farm in New Zealand. I would need a 10 box setup. Sort of like the second two pictures. I'm envisioning a setup like the first two pictures inside a box (the second two pictures).. Will have pictures up in a day or two.

Curious what you will do when temps are high outside in summer, will anyone be around to gather eggs every few days?

Here is the construction of the boxes. The dimensions of the boxes are 12x12x12 (2" pitch) with a 12x12x12 collection box in the rear.

Front side

Back side (without doors)

Back side with doors open

Here it is attached to the coop from the inside. I later added a bar so the chickens can have access to the top boxes.

I was able to get the green carpet/turf thing from Lowes 29"X10'X29" for less than $10. Cut them with exacto knife and slide them right in.

Back side with doors closed.

And... we have success. An hour after attaching the boxes we found four eggs (only three pictured, the fourth one was in the box directly on top).

My niece and daughter collecting our first eggs from the new box.

You can't see it here but there was a Leghorn laying the third egg in that same box.

Some more proof that the egg boxes work...

Here is my flock, 11 Leghorns, 5 Buff Orpintons, 1 Golden Laced Wyandotte, 1 Cochin, 1 RIR Rooster, 1 Cochin Rooster.

The hens pulled the green turf carpet out, I'll have to run a staple gun by it to keep it down.

A total of 30 eggs in two days.

Back
Top Bottom