Egg smashed day before hatching. Do I intervene?

chough02

In the Brooder
Feb 7, 2023
I need help knowing whether to intervene or if there is anything I can do.

I have a hen laying on eggs. 2-3 of them are due to hatch tomorrow. I looked in there right now and saw this under her… it looked more like the egg was smashed than the chicken was hatching but I’m not sure.. I have six nesting boxes but all of my hens still sit on top of mama and lay there eggs on her one nest.

I’m afraid maybe it was smashed. I picked it up cause it looked all smashed up and at first like nothing was in side cause the other side of it was face down: and then I saw the chick. It is moving and breathing currently…

Should I help it out? How do I know if it’s ready or do I just let mama hen take care of it…

Attachments

• 86580F00-48BC-44DE-ADC2-09467D4205B8.jpeg
    86580F00-48BC-44DE-ADC2-09467D4205B8.jpeg
    627.4 KB · Views: 28
If you don’t have an emergency incubator, I would leave it under mum and hope for the best. It might need to absorb the yolk a little more. The humidity will be important. Hang a hand towel over the nest box to stop the others going in. Mum won’t get off for awhile now they are due to hatch.

I need help knowing whether to intervene or if there is anything I can do.

I have a hen laying on eggs. 2-3 of them are due to hatch tomorrow. I looked in there right now and saw this under her… it looked more like the egg was smashed than the chicken was hatching but I’m not sure.. I have six nesting boxes but all of my hens still sit on top of mama and lay there eggs on her one nest.

I’m afraid maybe it was smashed. I picked it up cause it looked all smashed up and at first like nothing was in side cause the other side of it was face down: and then I saw the chick. It is moving and breathing currently…

Should I help it out? How do I know if it’s ready or do I just let mama hen take care of it…
I know this is from last week but how did it go? We had a crushed egg and it survived with a little help and lots of patience (Survivor, made a post about him)

Back
Top Bottom