Egg Song! Glorious Egg Song!

I just went out to the coop and one of my GSL hens was in the nest. She was there forever and nothing happen. I went outside the coop to open the egg door to see her from behind and she got off the nest and ran out of the coop. I felt bad but thought she was just practicing. Her waddle and comb are not very developed and not red at all. When she stopped to get a drink under the shade tree and egg fell out of her. A nice size brown egg. Earlier today I thought her behide looked strange, kind of a low bulge. Running must have helped dislodge it. She didn't sing the egg song either.
Oh, she'll most likely sing the egg song eventually...this first egg caught her off guard!!
gig.gif

Okay, this is strange. Three times now my BA hen has gone into the coop and sings the "egg song" but there are no eggs. She doesn't even get in a nest box, she's up on the roost singing away like she's just laid a huge egg. Is she practicing?
Well she finally laid an egg late this morning, a little brown egg, and then as she left the coop she started to sing the egg song as she ran to the shade tree where the others were. I love my chickens!!

YAY! We're up to 2 eggs a day now! One of my GC girls started laying yesterday, a med-large brown egg :) so now we have 2/13 girls laying and everyone is 19 1/2 weeks old. At least 3 other girls area REALLY close.

My 16 week old Bantams started singing the egg song this week. First my barred Plymouth Rock sang Monday late afternoon. My mouth dropped open. I kept begging her to do it again. But she sang for about 30 seconds and that was it. Tuesday my Cochin Merryweather sang the song for about 1 1/2 minutes. Then last night my buff brahma was standing really still and growling is the best explanation really really quietly. I thought she saw a predator. So I stood up to take a look and she did the egg song. So that's 3 out of 8. We'll see who's next. So exciting!!!

So exciting - my BPR laid her 1st egg today! She had a hard time with it & took a long time to finally have it. I think it might have been sideways or something. She went into the nest a bunch of times & would really carry on - to me it was like she was screaming. Then she'd come back out & franticly try to get out of the pen then back in the nest. I held her & messaged her vent area, then she'd run around some more, then back in the nest, & she finally had it - a little blood on the one end - that's why I think it was stuck. Funny, she is my biggest pullet & she's had the hardest time & smallest egg so far. Anyway, that's 4 out of 7 pullets paying rent now. Yippeeeee!

This is the rent from The Golden Girls & BockBock today - the small one on the end is from BockBock

So exciting - my BPR laid her 1st egg today! She had a hard time with it & took a long time to finally have it. I think it might have been sideways or something. She went into the nest a bunch of times & would really carry on - to me it was like she was screaming. Then she'd come back out & franticly try to get out of the pen then back in the nest. I held her & messaged her vent area, then she'd run around some more, then back in the nest, & she finally had it - a little blood on the one end - that's why I think it was stuck. Funny, she is my biggest pullet & she's had the hardest time & smallest egg so far. Anyway, that's 4 out of 7 pullets paying rent now. Yippeeeee!

This is the rent from The Golden Girls & BockBock today - the small one on the end is from BockBock

HOLY COW!!! No egg...yet...but right now (I mean right now!) I can see one of my gals (on the video cam) just clucking her little heart out, scratching something awful on the floor of the coop, now she's wandering around staring into the nest boxes...very intently. She's the one that has been squatting constantly the past week......I'm sure hoping she'll be singing the egg song today...or tomorrow...oh heck, who are we kidding...I'll take any egg any time!!
gig.gif

HOLY COW!!! No egg...yet...but right now (I mean right now!) I can see one of my gals (on the video cam) just clucking her little heart out, scratching something awful on the floor of the coop, now she's wandering around staring into the nest boxes...very intently. She's the one that has been squatting constantly the past week......I'm sure hoping she'll be singing the egg song today...or tomorrow...oh heck, who are we kidding...I'll take any egg any time!!
gig.gif
Oh....just....GREAT! She's still in there going bonkers rooting around, etc., and I need to get in that coop to lay down the PDZ and sand combo for their new roost tray....figures!!! Anytime "I" want to do something "they" are changing my plans.......
barnie.gif

Is it strange that my 18 1/2 week old BA has laid 3 eggs and I haven't heard her sing the egg song? I haven't been outside when she's laid and I can't really hear my chickens from inside my house unless there's a ruckus bUT do you think I would have heard it if she sang it? I feel kinda jipped! I like the eggs but where's my song too!

Back
Top Bottom