Egg white like jelly when cooked

Gemgem11

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2019
Norfolk uk
Hiya
Recently got 2 new rescue chickens 1 of them was laying soft shell eggs but has since hardened up have boiled 2 eggs this morning and one of them the egg white is like jelly even thought the yolk is hard and the other egg is cooked fully
Does any one have any ideas what could be wrong with it I have attached a few pictures I’m worried about a form of disease now
Thanks

Attachments

• C1AE1A59-6BFE-4962-A5A9-EED237C6745A.jpeg
    C1AE1A59-6BFE-4962-A5A9-EED237C6745A.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 54E2DDCA-AABD-4E38-8F0E-7766D2BF73D9.jpeg
    54E2DDCA-AABD-4E38-8F0E-7766D2BF73D9.jpeg
    55.7 KB · Views: 16
I've never had one like that, but did find this on another blog:
"Egg whites are 90% water, when they harden, the protein unravels and creates a grid network that does not allow the molecules to slip past each other. If the protein level drops, it might make it harder to set and stay runny."
Since they are rescues no way of knowing what kind of diet they've been on. If you are feeding layer feed you might try switching to a flock raiser type with a slightly higher protein content (make sure that oyster shell is available all the time in a separate feeder since the flock raiser will not have enough for laying hens- they will take what they need).
It may take some time since nutritional deficits aren't fixed overnight, but that may help. I've also read that with some birds a very fresh egg has a higher water content, so letting them age a bit lets them lose a bit of moisture, and that may also help. If you are not already doing so a vitamin supplement might be a good idea also, to get them back in good shape. And watch the treats, too many can also reduce the protein level, try to stay to 10% or less of the total diet.

Back
Top Bottom