eggbound, infection, or something else?

Sharks and Jets

Hatching
Feb 6, 2016
I thought my hen might be eggbound because she seems to be disinterested in food, has not laid an egg today (she's one of our regular layers), is lackluster, and her abdomen seems swollen. Her abdomen is not hard, as I would expect it to be from what I have read if she were eggbound, so I'm not sure what to do. It's Sunday, so the local bird vet isn't available either.

My hen had gout and that caused all of those symptoms. I just had to lower her protein intake for a few days. First check if she is eggbound, you should put a glove on with lubricant and go into the vent about an inch to feel for an egg. Epsom salt baths in warm water will help either too. I would hold her in the bath for around 20 minutes. Hope she gets better soon.

I thought my hen might be eggbound because she seems to be disinterested in food, has not laid an egg today (she's one of our regular layers), is lackluster, and her abdomen seems swollen. Her abdomen is not hard, as I would expect it to be from what I have read if she were eggbound, so I'm not sure what to do. It's Sunday, so the local bird vet isn't available either.
A swollen belly is not a good sign.....search on 'ascites'...it is a symptom of other diseases.
Am assuming you will take her to the vet, hope you up date this thread to tell us what they say.

Back
Top Bottom