eggs. the English way

choopes

Songster
13 Years
Nov 4, 2010
my farm South Alabama
I am getting over run with eggs. My refrig is full. I pickled a bunch, but used all my jars. I thought about trying to preserve some eggs the way they do in England. Don't wash them, and store them at room temperature. Has anyone tried this? How long will they stay fresh?
I am rarely seeing daytime temps any higher then the low 70's, usually cooler. I am thinking when it warms up, there will be a danger of spoilage.
I tried freezing eggs a few years back, cracking them, and putting the uncooked egg in a zip lock. But they didn't taste right.
What is your experience?

We never refrigerate mine, but we eat them witihin a week or 2. I give them to neighbors/ friends if I don’t have room

A friend of mine work's for a food bank over here. A while back when they had that lock down, some restaurant supplies had been donated to them. One of the thing's that had been donated was bag's of frozen boiled, peeled, and chopped egg's that the restaurant's thaw out and add to their salad bar's. I guess that they could also be used to make other thing's that you might need some hard boiled egg's for.

We rotate, "oldest" eggs on the counter to use right away, newest in the fridge. Never more than a week or two old, but we have kept some before on the counter for several weeks with no problem.

You can "float test" them if you're unsure. Just put them in a deep bowl of water. If they lay on the bottom, they're fresh, if they stand up vertically, they are aging but still useable, and if they float to the top or off of the bottom at all, we don't use them.

I have a walk-in crawl space where I store unwashed eggs. It's stayed 40-55 F down there since I've been measuring. I've used eggs around a month old with no issues.

My local food bank is very happy to take the eggs I can't keep up with. Farm fresh eggs are only $2 per dozen in my area so selling them isn't worthwhile for my small flock.

Back
Top Bottom