Emergency - Accidentally Stepped on Head

When my son was about 5 or 6 he accidentally stepped on one of our youngsters (aged around 2 months at the time). The poor little thing had blood coming out of her nostrils, beak and even a little from her eyes. I sat and held her, waiting for her to die, but she didn't. She came round after a few hours' rest and made a full recovery.

Hoping for the same for your pullet! :fl :hugs

When my son was about 5 or 6 he accidentally stepped on one of our youngsters (aged around 2 months at the time). The poor little thing had blood coming out of her nostrils, beak and even a little from her eyes. I sat and held her, waiting for her to die, but she didn't. She came round after a few hours' rest and made a full recovery.

Hoping for the same for your pullet! :fl :hugs

Which was precisely why I suggested what I did, as far as supportive care. Sometimes they can survive things we humans would never be able to survive, and come through the other side none the worse for wear. :celebrate

I hope the injured girl here will pull through, too!. :fl

(edited for a typo repair and a forgotten word)

Last edited:
Which was precisely why I suggested what I did, as far as supportive care. Sometimes they can survive things we humas would never be able to survive, and come through the other side none the worse for wear. :celebrate

I hope the injured girl will pull through, too!. :fl

My White Rock roo was mauled by my dogs last summer when he escaped the run and even though I couldn't see any visible injuries, he couldn't walk afterwards and was panting really hard and looked to be in a lot of pain. I thought he'd die in the night for sure. Nope, next morning he was standing up in the box next to my bed looking up at me, ready to go back out with his ladies.

So yeah, I have been surprised at the resilience of chickens (along with acknowledging their fragility too).

@SilberHenne , I am very sorry this happened, :hugs how is she today?

I recently went through something similar with one of mine when she trampled by a horse. :( She too had blood coming out of her nostrils. I saw it happen and grabbed her right away, then placed her in a warm, dark, quiet room in a box on a towel, and somehow she survived.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the support!

This morning she is doing a little better. She is holding herself upright and has been able to stand and look around, but still hasn't left her box and seems uncoordinated. I do think it is possible she has some brain swelling and she did have some minor seizures last night, mostly just leg spasms. I've been giving her water and electrolytes through a syringe, which she takes willingly and will also drink from a cup if her beak is in it, but does get tired very quickly. She won't take any food, but I'm not going to worry about it just yet. I might go find some CBD today.

20190504_114558.jpg
20190504_114611.jpg

This morning she is doing a little better. She is holding herself upright and has been able to stand and look around, but still hasn't left her box and seems uncoordinated. I do think it is possible she has some brain swelling and she did have some minor seizures last night, mostly just leg spasms. I've been giving her water and electrolytes through a syringe, which she takes willingly and will also drink from a cup if her beak is in it, but does get tired very quickly. She won't take any food, but I'm not going to worry about it just yet. I might go find some CBD today.

View attachment 1763122 View attachment 1763123
Look at her!! :celebrate
So happy she's doing better today. What's her name?

View attachment 1763122 View attachment 1763123
That is a good update...I hope she pulls through! They are resilient...:fl:fl

Back
Top Bottom