Emergency: Ash Snow and Fire Threatens Oregon Cities. How do we help our birds in the case of forced evacuation?

May 16, 2020
Oregon is currently *on fire*.
The nearest fire is less than 20 miles away, and we're watching evacuation warnings creep closer and closer to our city.
Since late last night, ash has been falling from the sky like snow.

The smoke blown into town is so thick you cant see down the road
Ash is piling up, and the humidity is 14%- basically nothing.

Everything is as dry as stone.
And one spark could set our yard aflame.

We've kept the chickens inside their coop today, and hung towels to catch the ash on the side the wind is blowing from. We moved their fresh water into the coop. We change the water hourly to prevent the chickens from drinking ash contaminated water.

However, we're steadily coming to the realization that by morning tomorrow, we may be forced to evacuate. If the nearest fire jumps the river, the air will be so thick with smoke that we cant see anything ahead of us- and regardless of our warning level, we may have to leave.
We've packed go-bags, our MREs, gallons of water, dog food and a dog go-bag that includes her food and water.

The sky is orange. And a thin coat of ash coats your hair whenever you step outside.

The unfortunate fact of the matter is this: if we get evacuated due to fires heading for our home, we have no way to take our birds with us.
We have 5 chickens. To take 5 birds, their feed, their grit, their medicine, and things to keep five birds comfortable and de-stressed would be impossible with 4 people and a pitbull in one family car.

We're facing the sad reality that if the fires hit our edge of town, our birds could end up being left behind. We don't have any place to take them that isnt in threat of fire. We're new to the area, so we have no friends to stay with- let alone friends to stay with that could support 4 people, 1 pitbull, and 5 hens on top of that.

The unfortunate fact is that we CANT bring our birds with us if we go.
Our birds are struggling as it is now- stuck outside because of the lack of room inside, inhaling smoke and walking on ashes. Their feathers are dusted with a fine ashy coating.
They're scared. They're stressed. And so are we.

What I'm really trying to ask here, is what would YOU do if you were in threat of losing your flock? If we DONT have to evacuate, how do we prevent our birds from getting sick from possibly ingesting ash and inhaling smoke? Is there ANYTHING more we can do if we have to evacuate?

I'd hate to have to say that we left our birds to die. If there's anything we can do to give them the best chance of making it through this, we'll do it. But unfortunately, things are looking quite grim.

Right now, we're about to go into a threat level 1.
Level 1 means 'start preparing for the worst'
Level 2 means 'you have a choice, but should evacuate'
Level 3 means 'Evacuate immediately. Do NOT attempt to pack up or defend your home. Serious risk."

To all those raising birds, pets, and families around the areas affected by natural disasters- especially in my state of Oregon, which is burning like Hell's come to earth- I give my condolences. I hope that our next message on this site is a positive, that we were able to stay, that our birds are safe, that the ash rain has stopped- but as I've written this, humidity dropped to 10%, and the sky is red with smoke and ash.

And if this IS my last message to the BackYard Chicken community with my current flock- Tiny, Unice, Cluck Noris, Valentina, and Chickety- I want to say THANK YOU to the dozens of people who've offered their compassion, experience, and support to us first-time farmers, and we'll be back if we're forced to move to a new place- to a new flock.
I hope to God it isn't our last message with our proud birds- who have only just started laying- but if it is, I thank each and every one of you for being here for the Turner Family Flock.

If there's anything you know of that we could do to protect our birds, please let us know.

Oregon is currently *on fire*.
The nearest fire is less than 20 miles away, and we're watching evacuation warnings creep closer and closer to our city.
Since late last night, ash has been falling from the sky like snow.

The smoke blown into town is so thick you cant see down the road
Ash is piling up, and the humidity is 14%- basically nothing.

Everything is as dry as stone.
And one spark could set our yard aflame.

We've kept the chickens inside their coop today, and hung towels to catch the ash on the side the wind is blowing from. We moved their fresh water into the coop. We change the water hourly to prevent the chickens from drinking ash contaminated water.

However, we're steadily coming to the realization that by morning tomorrow, we may be forced to evacuate. If the nearest fire jumps the river, the air will be so thick with smoke that we cant see anything ahead of us- and regardless of our warning level, we may have to leave.
We've packed go-bags, our MREs, gallons of water, dog food and a dog go-bag that includes her food and water.

The sky is orange. And a thin coat of ash coats your hair whenever you step outside.

The unfortunate fact of the matter is this: if we get evacuated due to fires heading for our home, we have no way to take our birds with us.
We have 5 chickens. To take 5 birds, their feed, their grit, their medicine, and things to keep five birds comfortable and de-stressed would be impossible with 4 people and a pitbull in one family car.

We're facing the sad reality that if the fires hit our edge of town, our birds could end up being left behind. We don't have any place to take them that isnt in threat of fire. We're new to the area, so we have no friends to stay with- let alone friends to stay with that could support 4 people, 1 pitbull, and 5 hens on top of that.

The unfortunate fact is that we CANT bring our birds with us if we go.
Our birds are struggling as it is now- stuck outside because of the lack of room inside, inhaling smoke and walking on ashes. Their feathers are dusted with a fine ashy coating.
They're scared. They're stressed. And so are we.

What I'm really trying to ask here, is what would YOU do if you were in threat of losing your flock? If we DONT have to evacuate, how do we prevent our birds from getting sick from possibly ingesting ash and inhaling smoke? Is there ANYTHING more we can do if we have to evacuate?

I'd hate to have to say that we left our birds to die. If there's anything we can do to give them the best chance of making it through this, we'll do it. But unfortunately, things are looking quite grim.

Right now, we're about to go into a threat level 1.
Level 1 means 'start preparing for the worst'
Level 2 means 'you have a choice, but should evacuate'
Level 3 means 'Evacuate immediately. Do NOT attempt to pack up or defend your home. Serious risk."

To all those raising birds, pets, and families around the areas affected by natural disasters- especially in my state of Oregon, which is burning like Hell's come to earth- I give my condolences. I hope that our next message on this site is a positive, that we were able to stay, that our birds are safe, that the ash rain has stopped- but as I've written this, humidity dropped to 10%, and the sky is red with smoke and ash.

And if this IS my last message to the BackYard Chicken community with my current flock- Tiny, Unice, Cluck Noris, Valentina, and Chickety- I want to say THANK YOU to the dozens of people who've offered their compassion, experience, and support to us first-time farmers, and we'll be back if we're forced to move to a new place- to a new flock.
I hope to God it isn't our last message with our proud birds- who have only just started laying- but if it is, I thank each and every one of you for being here for the Turner Family Flock.

If there's anything you know of that we could do to protect our birds, please let us know.
Pack them a go bag too and put them in a couple crates/boxes and bring them in your garage or bathroom so if you have to boogy they are ready to go boxes will be your best bet and don't go crazy about grit and feed mix them together wherever you go put them in the bathroom what kind of car do you have

If you're able to securely wrap them in towels I bet that you could fit them in a car. Could you maybe use a bathroom or something for them wherever you're going? My heart goes out to you-I can't imagine what it must be like evacuating and I hope that you all come out of this ok. :hugs

You have my sincerest, sincerest condolences that you and yours are facing this scary situation. I'm outside of PDX on an urban growth boundary and we've been super fortunate that no downed lines have caused any fires, but in small towns just a few miles away they're evacuating as issues pop up. One town only 11 miles away had a pasture burn and there are horses running loose in residential areas. My mom is down south in near Ashland and has had 5 evacuation notices this Summer. We're watching all this from our friend's and family's FB pages like some grim reality TV show.

What my mom's experiences have taught me: it sounds cruel, but you can pack chickens like sardines. They can squeeze in pretty tiny (they do it at factory farms), and I'm sure you've seen your gals huddled up close on a roost bar. Try and arrange them head to tail (alternating) and make sure whatever box/container you're putting them in has a good lid and is well ventilated.

Barring travel, you can also hang wet sheets around your coop/run to filter out some of the ash and cut down on this crazy wind we're experiencing. You can hose the entire coop down if you have to leave them behind and hope for the best...

I so, so, so hope that the winds shift and die down and that you and yours stay safe. If you head up north and need a yard to offload your chickens/pibble for a minute hit me up.

Fingers crossed!

First off, This is a truly terrifying experience for anyone to be in, and I’m so sorry for your family and your pets. I hope you all make it out safely, or won’t have to leave at all.

But I like the idea of boxes, they are easy to transport, and they could probably spend a bit of time in there if you needed to keep them in there a bit. @piminuse males several good points about that. BEST WISHED AND STAY SAFE :hugs

This is a very scary and serious situation. Do not leave your birds. Pack a to go bag like what @Flockincrazy said above. Don't worry about keeping food and everything separate if you cant. Use some zip lock bags and take them with you. Then evacuation ends up being the case- and you know you cant keep them happy with you traveling like that then figure out re homing while your evacuating or at least a temporary holding of them. Of course they wont be happy all trapped in a car but its better than leaving them to die. If you released them instead out into the world to be on their own while you left they would die-. If you left them locked in the run when you left they would die. A little stress and temporary unhappiness is better then the sheer panic of not knowing how to survive on your own or being trapped when a fire is coming at you. I say plan on taking them with you and trying to find an emergency re-home on the road if it ends up happening. If not a re-home then an emergency temporary home while you guys figure things out. There are many Facebook pages that are specific locations of people who own chickens who could probably take in a few birds for you as an emergency. There are also rescue groups that if you reached out could take them now from you prior to having to evacuate if you told them the situation and drove them to them. You just cant leave them like that- its dooming them to death :( such a sad turn of events. I honestly hope everything turns out ok and everyone stays healthy.

If the smoke and ash outside gets really bad - a lot of people will use like camping tents to bring their birds inside when its cold so I would suggest using a camping tent to bring them inside and have them sleep and live in there if it gets really bad. You don't have to do much - set it up like a brooder with a water and food and shavings- if you have a stand on its own perch that you could throw in then great. This could be in the garage or a living room or where every you could put them- camping tents have a floor lining that goes a little way up the sides so it should keep everything in and off your house floors. You can also have another emergency tent already ready and packed and in the car too so that if you do have to take them and throw them in a crate all crammed you have a tent you can set up for them where ever you are evacuating to. Then you could use it with out shavings at the new place since its an emergency and since its a lining on the floor of the tent you would just clean it off- so no bedding needed to keep the floor clean with the emergency tent. This way you can save car room and all you need to bring is a plastic bag of food and grit with a small bowl they can use. OR you can just sprinkle the food on the ground if you don't have room to pack a bowl. so then all you would need is the food and grit.

If you are worried they will fight in the car- i have seen people wrap roosters in news paper so you can have more birds next to each other while traveling in a car and it stops them from fighting each other. You could have like towels or newspaper already in the car if this could be an option?? Not sure about this tho. You could also get and pack the chicken diapers that they make to keep the poop from going anywhere in your car or in there crate.

I hope this helped and I really hope everything will be ok. If anyone has anything to add or change to what I've said please feel free. I only want the best for her hens and anyone's hens for that matter.

You have my sincerest, sincerest condolences that you and yours are facing this scary situation. I'm outside of PDX on an urban growth boundary and we've been super fortunate that no downed lines have caused any fires, but in small towns just a few miles away they're evacuating as issues pop up. One town only 11 miles away had a pasture burn and there are horses running loose in residential areas. My mom is down south in near Ashland and has had 5 evacuation notices this Summer. We're watching all this from our friend's and family's FB pages like some grim reality TV show.

What my mom's experiences have taught me: it sounds cruel, but you can pack chickens like sardines. They can squeeze in pretty tiny (they do it at factory farms), and I'm sure you've seen your gals huddled up close on a roost bar. Try and arrange them head to tail (alternating) and make sure whatever box/container you're putting them in has a good lid and is well ventilated.

Barring travel, you can also hang wet sheets around your coop/run to filter out some of the ash and cut down on this crazy wind we're experiencing. You can hose the entire coop down if you have to leave them behind and hope for the best...

I so, so, so hope that the winds shift and die down and that you and yours stay safe. If you head up north and need a yard to offload your chickens/pibble for a minute hit me up.

Fingers crossed!
Yes great advice. PACK THEM LIKE SARDINES! Dont worry about stressing them out- they are going to be less stressed stuck in a car than where they are fearing for their life and miserable waiting for a fire to kill them or starved/dehydrated when food and water runs out! You can wrap em up in news paper and put 2 birds on the floor and then 3 on the seat and just drive (or a crate in the trunk if you have a car for that. Then join and get on all the facebook groups and ask for people to take them in for a bit! It doesn't matter if you don't know them this is an emergency. People I am sure will help you with taking them this is an emergency situation.

Last edited:
If you can get ahold of a local shelter, they may have travel boxes like the ones they send cats home in, or extra hard sided cat carriers. If weighing out the option of burning to death or being cramped in a box like a meat bird I imagine that burning wouldn't be top of the list. The necessity of grit is minimal if you only have pellet feed and don't overthink, take enough for a few days not the entire 50lb bag. If it's really not practical to take your flock period, the safety of your family always comes first. Good luck and best wishes to you, your family and flock!

Back
Top Bottom