EMERGENCY CHICKEN CHOCKING

Hi there, I am sharing with you our story of our Goldie which is similar to yours. She has been doing this for a few weeks now, it has not gotten as extreme but she does it everytime she eats. We have started crushing her food and adding a bit of olive oil which helps her. It gets worse at her evening meal. We did attempt to treat for gapeworm but after a few days I just felt that wasn’t it. Her crop also seems fine and nothing I can see in her mouth. Her breathing seems more labored if we hold her so I avoid that. Other than that she seems to be a happy go lucky chicken and she makes it work. I’m stuck as to what it could be, so that’s our solution for now.

Hi there, I am sharing with you our story of our Goldie which is similar to yours. She has been doing this for a few weeks now, it has not gotten as extreme but she does it everytime she eats. We have started crushing her food and adding a bit of olive oil which helps her. It gets worse at her evening meal. We did attempt to treat for gapeworm but after a few days I just felt that wasn’t it. Her crop also seems fine and nothing I can see in her mouth. Her breathing seems more labored if we hold her so I avoid that. Other than that she seems to be a happy go lucky chicken and she makes it work. I’m stuck as to what it could be, so that’s our solution for now.
You are so kind! Thank you, and sorry for my intrusion in your 3d. Our situations seem very similar,i am happy that Goldie is doing fine overall. For today, I'm going to feed my Mí with some cereal milk, or egg with maybe some soft cheese like ricotta. Let's keep us updated, it is so conforting that we are not alone facing this:hugs

Worming is a good idea anyway, because other worms could be a problem. Let us know what wormer you choose, and we can help with dosage. 10% fenbendazole (panacur or safeguard) dosage is usually 0.25 ml per pound of weight given orally for 3-5 days. If using levamisole, let us know the strength of the one you use.

Be sure to look inside her beak with a torch or light, for any yellow, white or grey material. Canker is a common disease carried by pigeons and wild birds, and can cause problems swallowing and crop blockage. Yeast or fungal infection could also be a problem. The wet version of fowl pox virus from mosquitoes is the third possible problem. Cancer has also been something that can resemble canker.

Is she drinking? Can you put her on a liquid diet? Soak her crumble in milk or something? Please keep us updated you are good chicken mommy!
Thank you so much for your reply and for your support :hugs when my dad will be back at home we will try to carefully feed her with something liquid or very soft. Yes, she is drinking a bit. She seems to be very better now, she walks and she is talkative,but I fear it can happen another time if i don't understand what she has 😞

Worming is a good idea anyway, because other worms could be a problem. Let us know what wormer you choose, and we can help with dosage. 10% fenbendazole (panacur or safeguard) dosage is usually 0.25 ml per pound of weight given orally for 3-5 days. If using levamisole, let us know the strength of the one you use.

Be sure to look inside her beak with a torch or light, for any yellow, white or grey material. Canker is a common disease carried by pigeons and wild birds, and can cause problems swallowing and crop blockage. Yeast or fungal infection could also be a problem. The wet version of fowl pox virus from mosquitoes is the third possible problem. Cancer has also been something that can resemble canker.
I will take a picture of what i can see inside the beak asap. I found that in Italy Chemisole 2,5% is used for little birds like parrots, is it fine? Panacur is avaible to, but it can be sold only with the prenscription and I'm struggling to find a vet near me. What is the wet form of fowl poi? Where can i found some informations about it?
Thank you again so much ❤️

She made right now a watery mucous poop with a brome that had some red spots, i

suppose blood.
(Graphic)
IMG-20220627-WA0018.jpg
IMG-20220627-WA0017.jpg
Maybe this is the reason of today's episod? I really hope, what do you think? Or maybe she found it in the room while she was recovering. She ate some egg with cereal milk and drank a bit of water. She seems pretty active. I hope this night she will be well:fl let me know your suggestions

Up

IMG_20220628_082455.jpg

This morning she was better. I had to put her outside in a cage because she started to jump and poop on the furnitures 😌
Anyway, she did not make other worrying sounds (only a small rattle during drinking). I am giving egg with ricotta and egg with cereal milk. I fear to give her solid food at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom