EMERGENCY My roos got into a huge fight, Help Please!

LhickenChicken

Free Ranging
Jan 5, 2023
An hour from everywhere
Help!
My sister was over and she was checking for eggs in the big coop, but there is another space right next to "General Population" which the GP door opens up into. In GP there is a rooster, and in the "outside chickens" (The chickens that are injured or just are getting bullied too much) there is another rooster. These two roos were separated because they wanted to fight each other. Well, my absent-minded sis didn't close the door and NekBother (the GP rooster) got out and fought with Sam (the outside rooster). Now they both have bloody spurs, and they're combs are very bloody and messy. NekBother lost the fight and squashed himself behind a panel of glass that was there. What do I do????
There aren't any visible injuries other than the ones to the comb and face, and NekBother is lost a few feathers. I put him in GP but I'm not sure if the hens will pick at his bloody comb. Sam seems fine, except he has lots of blood on his comb as well.

Please help I love these roos and I don't want them to die!

Do you have blue coat to cover the wounds? I would wash them off and clean with something to sanitize the wounds and inspect, and treat with blue coat to deter pecking if it's mostly superficial. But if it's bad enough,you may want to isolate one or both of them temporarily. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this right now.

Do you have blue coat to cover the wounds? I would wash them off and clean with something to sanitize the wounds and inspect, and treat with blue coat to deter pecking if it's mostly superficial. But if it's bad enough,you may want to isolate one or both of them temporarily. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this right now.
I don't have blue coat, and I don't really know what that is. I have some kind of "stop-pick" stuff, it deters chickens from pecking that area. I was thinking of using hydrogen peroxide to wash it off?

Combs can be very bloody and still be ok..theyre very resilient. You can however use a antiseptic spray for chickens. They carry it at most co ops or farm stores..its called Theracyn. It's for wounds. Mannapro makes it and you just spray it on..
I know the comb will be okay, they just look very miserable, both of them. I just want them to heal faster.
I can't go to town because everything is at least 1 hour away.

I don't have blue coat, and I don't really know what that is. I have some kind of "stop-pick" stuff, it deters chickens from pecking that area. I was thinking of using hydrogen peroxide to wash it off?
Yes, use whatever you have. If it doesn't seem to be working over the next couple days, you may want to go out and get something else, but most likely what you have is just fine :)

Maybe if you have Neosporin or triple strength Neosporin in the cabinet use that to help keep off an infection? I've read that you need to use the one without the painkiller because the painkiller is bad for chickens.
One of my hens recently had a comb badly bitten it bled like crazy so I used corn starch as a blood-clotter. it worked well in a pinch. I then cleaned with any wound wash i could find then Neosporin and a Blu-kote spray. She walked around like nothing happened. I hope this is helpful. good luck and accidents seem to be a way we learn,,, eh?

Maybe if you have Neosporin or triple strength Neosporin in the cabinet use that to help keep off an infection? I've read that you need to use the one without the painkiller because the painkiller is bad for chickens.
One of my hens recently had a comb badly bitten it bled like crazy so I used corn starch as a blood-clotter. it worked well in a pinch. I then cleaned with any wound wash i could find then Neosporin and a Blu-kote spray. She walked around like nothing happened. I hope this is helpful. good luck and accidents seem to be a way we learn,,, eh?
Is neosporin kind of like polysporin?

Back
Top Bottom