EMERGENCY - wild ducklings

loofa

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 4, 2009
We just found two wild ducklings in our yard - about 30 feet apart from each other. I've looked for the nest/mama to no avail. I have raised domestic ducks, and I've done wildlife rehab work - but I haven't raised wild ducklings, nor even domestic ones this young. So any advice is appreciated. I've currently got them in box with one of those overhead chick warmers and I'll be running out to get mash as soon as the feed store opens.

I figure I'll need to decide right away if I am raising these as pets or as a wildlife rehabber - which would mean doing all I can to prevent them from bonding with me. Or do? Given that domestic ducks tend to not be so close to their people once they grow up even when they are cuddled and adored as babes - maybe it doesn't matter and they'll just fly off when (if) they grow up anyhow?

Here a couple of pictures - sorry the second one is dark - just trying to show my hand with them for size

PXL_20220508_143912571.jpg PXL_20220508_143906094.jpg

Depending on where you live, I'm not sure if it is legal to keep wild ducklings as pets. Abandoned or not. They're most likely mallards who will eventually fly away if they do not get their wings clipped. Do your research and maybe call the wildlife rehab and ask what they think you should do.

Yes, they are almost certainly mallards - we have a lot of wild mallards around here.

These are wild ducklings and should be rehabbed as wild ducklings. It's easier when you have 2.

At this stage, ensure that they imprint on each other and don't handle them. Give them a feather duster to sleep/snuggle under. After the first week when they are imprinted, they will be nervous/frightened when you are around. Don't discourage them!! Don't handle them unless it is necessary.

I've not rehabbed mallards but I have rehabbed muscovy. This spring released 8 [7 females and a male] to one private lake and 4 [3 females 1 male] to a private retention pond. All were around 20 -24 weeks. Because of the Avian 'flu epidemic, we still have 8 muscovy waiting to be released.

In Florida it is illegal to keep mallards without a license.

Last edited:
yes, I can do this - actually, I just talked to another rehabber who told me that it's not a concern the way it is with other wildlife that I've worked with. If they survive, they will fly away on their own to join the local mallards when they are ready - she said around 6 to 8 months. They won't become tame even if exposed to us a lot.

Oh, sorry, I didn't see your first post - I can see that what I said could be construed as arguing against what you said up there - totally isn't! And don't worry, I wont' be cuddling them

Back
Top Bottom