Empty nest at it's best

Jsto

Songster
12 Years
Apr 30, 2007
North Carolina
My girls (and guy!) went out to their coop this afternoon. They're just 5 weeks, but since they're outgrowing the brooder and the inside of the coop is basically finished (except for nest boxes and completing the roost...it's only half done), I decided that I would finish up their brooding in there. I'm a wreck...it's bordering on the ridiculous. I have to stop myself from going to check on them every few minutes, which isn't fun for me since it's dark out.

They, on the other hand, seem to be loving it. They can flap around, jump on each others backs, and do that funny little random sprint without knocking into each other or the lid of the brooder. They don't cry with the light off, they've had it off mostly now for a while....only on if we have a cool night. The coop is (and has been) sustaining between 75 and 80 without the light for most of the day. I'm going to make sure it's still warm in a bit--the heat lamp is hooked up and ready to go if it's needed...just have to plug the extension cord in since we haven't wired the coop yet.

I'm still having a hard time, though. I just checked on them and they were sleeping contentedly under the 'window seat'. Will they be able to find the water in the dark? They've only been in there a few hours. See, I must be going crazy as that's a silly question.

UGH! How do you guys deal with it? LOL! I want my babies back in here NOW!

Laugh all you want, but mine went into their coop yesterday at 3 weeks (same reasons as you--plus the basement was musty so I panicked about bacteria breeding). How did I deal, you ask?

Hubby hooked up a tiny camera attached to a laptop that he sat in the coop on top of the nest boxes and behind the faceboard of the whole nest "assembly"--where the birds can't get at it (and poop on it) and it was not exposed to the elements. It got electricity from the same cord feeding the heat lamp and is equipped with wireless access. He set the camera setting to overexpose the pictures so that we could see them by the light of the heat lamp and it transmitted a live feed to us. At 1:30am, I insisted that he lower the level of the heat lamp. But by 3am, I was content that they were neither too hot nor too cold and we could all go to sleep.

THAT, my friend, is how *I* dealt with it. Do you feel slightly less crazy now?
caf.gif

BTW: Chick cam is still on. Feel free to check on MY girls!
tongue.png
http://media.mktechnology.net/mypeeps/index.htm

Last edited:
The funniest thing is---I just ordered a little cam that should be arriving this week!! I'll be glued to the blasted computer even more than I am now
caf.gif

I'm about to slip on my Wellies, grab the big flash light and trek out to the coop. Wish me luck! I'm deathly afraid of things that go bump in the night! Kind of funny considering I'm pretty fearless during the day.

Glad I'm not the only crazy one, though. Thanks for the validation, lol!

My babies have been in the henhouse/coop for the last 2 weeks, but were in the brooder in the garage for the 2 weeks before THAT. Putting them in the coop WAS nerve-wracking. And last night is the FIRST time I haven't gone out at 2am to check in on my girls. I think they missed me! They were pretty excited to see me this morning. I still imagine all sorts of horrible things happening in the dead of night. I don't worry about them finding food and water, though, because I still leave the light on for them
lau.gif
. Trying to wean us all off it slowly.. and then 2 nights ago I went out to check on them at 2 and realized at some point the BULB had BLOWN OUT! And they were in the dark!! ARG! Now I just feel plain ole' guilty about it. And they are 5wks, so should be fine in their very-well insulated coop.

hugs.gif
to you. Your babies are growing up!

-Meghan

Well, they're still doing well, but I think I may have suffered a mild heart attack! Started my walk out there, flashlight in one hand, broom in the other. (I beat the ground in front of me...don't know what the purpose of this is, but it makes me feel better!) Halfway across the yard, I'm thinking, ok, this isn't so bad. Stop being a baby...you're a grown woman, you can walk across the freaking yard. Then it happens. I was attacked by a giant, ugly, gruesome, prickly....stick! The thing was posing as a snake, which when I trod on it, jumped up to attack my knee. Of course I did what any sensible person would do---run screaming all the way back to the house!
barnie.gif
th.gif

After calming myself, I had to go back out there. I mean, I still hadn't checked on the chicks and even a giant 'snake' couldn't stop me. So, long story short (ok, maybe not that short), I realised that the offending creature was just a small stick. After mentally slapping my forehead and saying "d'oh!", I proceeded to see my babies, who are doing very well. The coop is still doing nicely temp wise---was 72. I think I'll stay in for a bit and let myself chill out. Running full speed in heavy rubber boots whilst trying to balance a giant flashlight and broom, and tripping over your PJ bottoms is just exhausting!

That is hysterical!!! And exactly what I would do. I was reading this post aloud to my hubby in between bursts of giggles and tears and he said, "these people are just like you! Not only is that something you would do (I have the rubber boots and PJ bottoms to match!), but you would also write a lengthy narrative about it!

Thanks for the laugh before bed!!!

Chrystal in AZ

Our Flock: 2 Black Australorps, 2 light & 3 dark Americaunas, 3 Barred Rocks, 2 Buff Somethings, 2 RIR, 1 Dorking, 1 Partridge Rock and 1 White Lace Red Cornish

Not to mention 2 horses, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 1 Holland Lop (Bunny), and 2 fish tanks! Plus, we are getting two pigs in a month or so... Oh yeah, and my human family: Sweet Hubby, 3 1/2 year old son, 1 1/2 year old daughter and a 2 month old daughter! It gets a little crazy around here sometimes!

jsto......OMG!
lau.gif
I was laughing so hard about your "snake" experience. Not laughing AT you ....but because I did the SAME thing a few months ago. Of course....I could FEEL it wrapping around my leg...LOL ( tangled in the pants leg) Thanks for the laugh.

I find it very gratifying that I'm not completely insane. That's at least something!

The girls are still doing well, although when I woke up at 6 and checked on them, it was 63* in there! Yikes. Think that's a bit cold for them, but they looked great. The thermo is hung a bit high, so it may have been a misread since it's kind of in the cross fire of the soffits. I don't know. I'll probably turn the light on tonight. I only left it off last night because I didn't want it to get too hot. They can huddle if it's a bit cool, but if it's too hot they can't do much.

At least I know that the coop retains heat decently. The last time I checked on them was about 2:30 this morning (woke up out of a dead sleep just to do it) and the temperature was still hovering between 70 and 75. Must've cooled off a bit outside this morning, but it's already starting to heat up.

LOL, Thanks you guys.

So I'm not the only crazy one? My chickies are still inside, but when I moved the ducklings out, I put their cage DIRECTLY UNDER my bedroom window, and slept with the window open. I am always checking on them with a flashlight. I am gonna be a mess when the chicks go out there. I wish I could buy a cam, LOL!

(Love the peep cam, btw, I caught one for a sec before they all moved away or went outside.)

And I laughed about your snake story, but not TOO hard. I caught a 6 foot ratsnake near the ducklings' cage the last week they were inside. And a few days ago, I was outside turning the water on for them and I saw it ... a good 9 foot long snakeskin stretched all along the side of the house. I was just bending closer, making SURE it was a shed skin, and I reached out to poke it when ... the rescue kitten decided to jump off the porch next to me directly onto my back with all of his claws ... SCARED ME TO DEATH !!!

So I can't laugh TOOOO hard at you. My turn is coming, I am sure ...
wink.png

trish

Back
Top Bottom