Emu chick with open yolk site

Strawberry74

Songster
Mar 11, 2022
Good morning,

Hoping to get a little advice. I know many may have experience with other hatchlings that have had this issue that can possibly offer advice and hope.
This little one hatched unassisted yesterday afternoon and the site where he absorbed his yolk wasn't quite closed and some flesh seemed to be outside. Not bleeding. I talked to a few friends who are vet techs. One recommended to glove up and use an iodine dipped gauze to gently push it in if I could. That seemed fairly successful. I tried wrapping him in vet wrap to hold some guaze to the site and keep it clean. That was not successful. It was also suggested to suture the site closed in case it was intestines to avoid tissue drying out. I didn't feel comfortable doing that. I have the stuff but never researched it. It was looking much better last evening so I spray it with vetricyn, put a little triple antibiotic on and went to bed. He is alert and hanging with his friends this morning. They are all getting their legs under them.

The site looks about the same, but not fully closed and drying up. Any suggestions? Does this little one have any chance of survival or will there be potential complications as he starts eating? Should I attempt a suture?

Attachments

• 20240410_122417.jpg
    20240410_122417.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 20240410_181331.jpg
    20240410_181331.jpg
    504.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240411_055955.jpg
    20240411_055955.jpg
    711.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240410_212428.jpg
    20240410_212428.jpg
    837.5 KB · Views: 11
Hi! They are sure cute. I know nothing about emus and wish someone who did would respond.

In reading your post and seeing the pictures, I naturally think infection could be an issue. At the least, I would continue doing what you're doing with the triple antibiotic ointment to keep bacteria from getting in there. Since it's starting to close, it seems it would continue to do so.

I shouldn't think him eating would give that any trouble though but I'd just keep an eye to make sure his poop clears it and it stays clean.

Hopefully, someone who raises emus comes along as I've only hatched the smaller poultry so only giving my best guess here and it seems you're doing the right thing!

It will close on its own, but using antibiotic ointment for the next few days will help to keep a possible infection at bay.

Thank you. He is doing OK for now. They are just starting to eat and time will tell if his digestion process is effected. The area dried over but still a little nub. He is a sweet little cutie.

Back
Top Bottom