Kaitlyn18

In the Brooder
Feb 19, 2018
PLEASE ONLY EXPERIENCED EMU HATCHERS ONLY!
Hello,
I am on day 34 of the incubation process of an emu egg. My temperature is 96.5 degrees Fahrenheit and humidity stays around 50% but I added a bowl of water inside. I did weigh the egg but it is not digital so it is hard to get an exact weight.

Two days ago my incubator did click off somehow and was off no more than 6 hours. Could have been 4 hours I’m not exactly sure. I was told by several the egg should be okay if there was a chick inside. The egg was completely cold though.

During that time afterwards I took it our set it out on a flat surface to whistle, and it would roll to one side and suddenly stop. I was surprised so I set it back down and it rolled back to the same spot again.

Yesterday and today I took it out again to whistle and I thought it was moving but I’m afraid my eyes was playing tricks on me. I felt the egg because I read that sometimes either end will stay warm if there’s a chick they were colder but slightly in the middle of the egg towards the bigger end stayed warmer.

I have been turning it like I’m supposed to. It doesn’t really look like it leaning to either end, if it is it would be the bigger end because the littler end is not down.

Note: I do not keep it out for very long.

PLEASE ONLY EXPERIENCED EMU HATCHERS ONLY!
Hello,
I am on day 34 of the incubation process of an emu egg. My temperature is 96.5 degrees Fahrenheit and humidity stays around 50% but I added a bowl of water inside. I did weigh the egg but it is not digital so it is hard to get an exact weight.

Two days ago my incubator did click off somehow and was off no more than 6 hours. Could have been 4 hours I’m not exactly sure. I was told by several the egg should be okay if there was a chick inside. The egg was completely cold though.

During that time afterwards I took it our set it out on a flat surface to whistle, and it would roll to one side and suddenly stop. I was surprised so I set it back down and it rolled back to the same spot again.

Yesterday and today I took it out again to whistle and I thought it was moving but I’m afraid my eyes was playing tricks on me. I felt the egg because I read that sometimes either end will stay warm if there’s a chick they were colder but slightly in the middle of the egg towards the bigger end stayed warmer.

I have been turning it like I’m supposed to. It doesn’t really look like it leaning to either end, if it is it would be the bigger end because the littler end is not down.

Note: I do not keep it out for very long.

I've 20 emus and have incubated for 7 years. You may be lucky if it was just a few hours as this happened to me after a power failure a little further along in the hatch. In four or five days you might expect to see a faint wiggle or rocking when placed on a flat surface if the chicks are alive. If the eggs cool quickly it's not great news. Hang on in there "just in case" though!! In 10 days try pressing tight against your ear and lightly tap with a fingernail. You may hear/feel a "scrabbling around" sensation. Keep us in the loop and good luck.

Unfortunately I only got one egg. When I take my nail and tap it now it makes a tink sound. I think it slightly wiggles now honestly but I’m not 100% sure.

I've 20 emus and have incubated for 7 years. You may be lucky if it was just a few hours as this happened to me after a power failure a little further along in the hatch. In four or five days you might expect to see a faint wiggle or rocking when placed on a flat surface if the chicks are alive. If the eggs cool quickly it's not great news. Hang on in there "just in case" though!! In 10 days try pressing tight against your ear and lightly tap with a fingernail. You may hear/feel a "scrabbling around" sensation. Keep us in the loop and good luck.
o

Back
Top Bottom